Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] uc3842 current limmiting without current sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

omid2006

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello;iwant to design a buck converter using uc3845 controller;and i want to limit the peak current without current sensing...can any one help me and introduce a config to me?:?:

Hi

difficult. It's like you want to keep the speed limit without knowing your actual speed.

What's your idea behind this requirement?

Klaus

hello;iwant to design a buck converter using uc3845 controller;and i want to limit the peak current without current sensing...can any one help me and introduce a config to me?:?:

Why do you not want current sensing? Without current sense, you cannot tell the PWM to switch in realtime and you do not want that.

Do you mean current sensing on the output (short circuit protection), or do you mean current sensing in the switch element on the primary side?

The whole point with uc3842 is to sense the current in the switch element on the primary side, so it is meaningless to use the uc3842 without it.

If you mean current limiting for short circuit protection, you don't need an extra current sense for that.

The question tells me that the OP has not bothered to read the datasheet.

The UC384x-series, by its own datasheet description, are Current-mode PWM controllers.

Without the current feedback, the controller will not have the necessary waveform information to properly control the PWM cycle.

I suspect that the OP wants to do a buck with a hi-side fet and yet doesn’t want the hassle of hi-side current sense……..but I would say, possibly use a current sense transformer to do your current sense.

Ive actually seen solar bucks with no current sense…….they charge batteries….and as long as the battery voltage is high enough, you can actually do it without current sense, as long as you obviously limit the duty cycle…….the problem happens.. if the output suddenly goes short circuit and then of course your buck inductor current staircases up into saturation and bang goes the fet……unless of course, your microcontroller was able to sense the output short circuit quick enough and turn off the fet pronto.
But yes, if using the ucc384x then you would have to drive its oscillator with a micro because otherwise it needs the current sense ramp to know when to turn off the fet.

- - - Updated - - -

here is a nice uc384x buck, to show how it works..in ltspice

Attachments

• buck 24v to 12v at 3A.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 96

To sense current without sensing current you need a Xlax hybrid flux capacitor model # 37 56779980 21 from Newark, this part has globular crystal technology that predicts the current so that the turn off time can be pre-programmed - hope this helps ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back