Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biasing Circuit for LNA with Chebyshev Bandpass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcx123

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

As my understanding on biasing circuit, it is used to provide stable and desired voltage level to the amplifier, so that the amplifier can be operated in desired region (eg. saturated region).
My question is that if I have an LNA with schematic as shown in the picture below, how is the biasing circuit for the inductive degeneration configuration NMOS constructed for Vbias1?
2-Figure3-1.png
If a current mirror configuration biasing circuit (red square) is used, the sp (eg, S11, S21) will be affected.
0UIpL.png
In my opinion, they are affected because they are interpreted as part of input matching. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there any biasing circuit for LNA with Chebyshev bandpass filter instead of connecting directly to a power source?

For first Figure, there is nothing wrong since C2 and L2 are part of matching.
In second Figure, the Current Mirror is not part of matching so the effect of the Current Mirror is negligible.I couldn't understand why you would connect the LNA through Chebyshev BPF..

Sorry for my bad description. Let me reuse it here. I would like to use the current mirror in second figure as biasing network for first figure. But when I do so, the s parameter is affected.
To answer your question, as of my understanding, inductive source degeneration LNA is for narrow band application. By connecting it with Chebyshev bandpass filter, wideband design can be achieved.

The Current Mirror shouldn't affect the s-parameters of the LNA.Are you sure ??
How/Where you would use Chebyshev BPF to expand the Bandwidth of the LNA and how NF will be affected in this case ??

The Current Mirror shouldn't affect the s-parameters of the LNA.Are you sure ??
How/Where you would use Chebyshev BPF to expand the Bandwidth of the LNA and how NF will be affected in this case ??

Look at the picture below, it's what I wanted to do. The red circle is the Chebyshev bandpass filter + Inductive Source Degeneration and the blue one covered the current mirror biasing. Take note that there is another resistor R16 and R15 in the biasing circuit. Thus, the input impedance is different from connecting to the power supply instead. Furthermore, R16 is necessary and big in value to have a good isolation. This further increase the input impedance in input matching network.
Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 128
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 137

The circuit isn't the equivalent of post #1 which connects L2/C2 to a low impedance node, so not surprising to get different S11 and kill the original Chebyshev characteristic. You need to place a bypass capacitor at the L2 foot point.

Or design a different matching network from the scratch.

The circuit isn't the equivalent of post #1 which connects L2/C2 to a low impedance node, so not surprising to get different S11 and kill the original Chebyshev characteristic. You need to place a bypass capacitor at the L2 foot point.

Or design a different matching network from the scratch.

Is it like this?
Capture.JPG
Still s-parameter got affected. But the transistor is able to turn on with this bypass capacitor added.:thumbsup:
I've came up with another type of biasing circuit as shown below,
Capture.JPG
I move the R1 into biasing circuit from original location(above L2). And the voltage supply to the biasing circuit is no more 1.2V, but 600mV, which is the voltage supplied to L2 before I trying to implement a biasing circuit.
I not sure if I design like this, is the biasing circuit still maintain its function, to provide a stable voltage level indirectly to the transistor Q1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back