Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to distinguish the electronic design approaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton89

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I realize the title is not so clear. Let me explain better my question.

I have designed a radio-frequency receiver using different single components (LNAs, mixer, PLLs, filters, etc). I put together the components, defined the architecture and simulated the system. Each components has about 3 mm x mm size.

Instead of following this approach, I could have searched on the market an integrated transceiver that implements a recevier and a transmitter in 10 mm x mm of area.

Obviously the second approach allows to save space on PCB. Anyhow, from taxonomy point of view, how are both approach known in the technical language?

Many thanks.

Antonio

whatever name it is called , the second approach is desirable of integrated transceiver and transmitter provided it meets your spec of signal sensitivity and SNR ratio and the output power requirement.

Integrated wins on cost and size - so long as you are
OK with the performance of integrated transistors and
passives all of one technology.

These will almost always be inferior to what you can
get at the bleeding edge, often a year or five behind
the III-V SSI RF functions as piece-parts. Particularly
the RF passives, where your inductors are spiral (not
solenoidal), turns-limited, no choice of core and few
for geometry; for actives you had better like the
MOSFET (check best in class integrated, vs GaN and
InP devices for fmax, noise figure - and then consider
that you can mix-and-match best-in-class if you are
up against performance limited by components).

"Provided that..." is where it's at.

The first approach will give you a Flexibility and Tuning Space, other one doesn't..( but cheaper..?)
For instance, if the NF of the Receiver has X dB, you don't have any chance to change that spec. in case of needed..
But if Integrated Solution fails, whole IC must be replaced with a new one and it will cost you..
The first solution has more flexibility in term of Fail Tracking..Also, you can choose the components as you wish in regard of Operating Environment ( temperature, harshness etc.)
Each solution has Pos' Cons'
Take the Reliability into account too.Discrete elements are more favorable compare to integrated ones.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back