Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Creating a very sharp pulse generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ya_montazar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I want to generate a clock with about 4 MHz frequency (should be adjustable) which is very clean and sharp.
I can not access ready oscillators.

I have test a crystal collpits circuit but it is not sharp enough.
Any suggestions?

Best Regards
Ya Montazar

Hi,

Specify "sharp" in values with unit.

Klaus

Hi,

Complaining about slew rate, but giving no value makes no sense.

Klaus

A quick slew rate requires that a device change immediately from high ohm to low ohm (or vice versa), so that current flow changes immediately.

It's the opposite of a low-pass filter. Which is like saying the highest frequency of a high-pass filter. Therefore a series capacitor is a handy way to create an abrupt spike, since it sharpens a spike into an even more abrupt spike.

Hi,

High pass filter...
What circuit are you thinking of?

A simple C-R high pass filter can't increase dV/dt.

Klaus

A Colpitts oscillator generates sein wave, the opposite of sharp edges. You surely need to convert the waveform, e.g. by digital logic gates with schmitt trigger function.

A quick slew rate requires that a device change immediately from high ohm to low ohm (or vice versa), so that current flow changes immediately.

It's the opposite of a low-pass filter. Which is like saying the highest frequency of a high-pass filter. Therefore a series capacitor is a handy way to create an abrupt spike, since it sharpens a spike into an even more abrupt spike.

Thanks, is there any specific known circuit for that.
What I want exactly is to have an oscillator with specific frequency, which an equivalent could be exist in form of oscillator pack.

What is "sharp"?
If it's a rise and fall time of a <20ns you could drive a 5V 74HC14 Schmitt trigger inverting gate with the colpitts signal (if it's 0-5v) to square up the signal.

Simulation showing how a series capacitor produces a spike-like waveform from a slightly rounded square wave. The series cap performs the differentiation function. (I called it a high-pass filter in post #5 because that is a more common name when used with sinewaves.)

series cap (differentiator) produces spike w advance 4MHz.png

Out2 amplitude is greater than Out1. By mixing or merging or adding the waveforms in some manner, it can sharpen the transistions.

Slew rate is altered further as the capacitor advances the phase (as is characteristic of capacitors). The behavior becomes obvious when Out1 versus Out2 are plotted X-Y fashion.

A Colpitts oscillator generates sein wave, the opposite of sharp edges. You surely need to convert the waveform, e.g. by digital logic gates with schmitt trigger function.
It's a good suggestion.

What is "sharp"?
If it's a rise and fall time of a <20ns you could drive a 5V 74HC14 Schmitt trigger inverting gate with the colpitts signal (if it's 0-5v) to square up the signal.
However 74hc14 is too large for me.
I want to replace this circuit with a crystal oscillator so I do not have a large space.
Is there any small package one?

Status
Not open for further replies.