Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDMI-ARC to HDMI audio extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapuia

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I hope this is the right section for my question: Will an HDMI-ARC output work with an HDMI audio extractor?

I bought a 55-inch TV but the built-in sound is quite poor. For watching cable TV, I connect the analog audio output of the set-top box to a decent 2.1 powered speaker I already have, but of course that doesn't work for sound generated in the TV like those from Youtube, Netflix, USB flash memory.

The TV does have an HDMI-ARC port but I don't want to invest in a good ARC-compatible sound system right now. Chinese-made HDMI-to-AV converters are available for around $5 (US) and I wondered if these would work as an inexpensive stop-gap solution. The catch here is that these are not specifically for ARC. Will they work?

BTW, I'm not asking anyone to guarantee that a particular product - Chinese or otherwise - will or will not work. What I'm asking is about the principle of feeding an ARC signal to a 'normal' HDMI input.

Status
Not open for further replies.