Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single SPI SS to control multiple devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahirsengine

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am given a task to design a SPI master module in Verilog (The ultimate goal is to design an sensor ASIC).

The problem is: I have only four I/Os i.e. MISO, MOSI, SCLK, and SS(single line).
But on the slave side, I need to control four slaves i.e. EEPROM, an ADC and two digital processing block(can reduce to one).

The question is: How may I control these blocks as slaves using just one SS line. Is there any standard methodology for doing this in ASIC arena?

Hi,

I see no standard solution for this.

Some SPI slaves are made for daisy chaining, but otherwise they need independent enable signals.

Or use I2C instead, they don´t need independent enable signals. Just two signals: SDA and SCL.

If you have programmable logic, then you may do a tricky solution, where the first transmitted byte is some kind of address byte...
and after the first byte is transmitted the PLD decides which SPI slave becomes active - according the contents of the first byte.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back