Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is equalisation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syeda amna

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I want to learn about equalisation and equaliser? How does it work? Please suggest me good resource to learn equaliser from scratch. I already searched through internet but they are quite confusing.
Can anybody help me out?

Speakers are too loud at some frequencies and are too soft at other frequencies. An audio equalizer circuit has some bandpass filters to allow you to reduce the volume of frequencies that are too loud and allow you to boost the level of frequencies that are too soft so that the sounds are balanced.
You must learn about electronic filter circuits to understand hw they work.

Not sure if the OP is asking about audio equalizers. There are many applications of equalizer e.g. in communication systems. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_(communications)

The general idea is to apply the inverse tranmission channel characteristic to a signal to restore the original signal.

Communications equalization?
In the '70ies I worked with a very large very high quality business intercom system. I designed, built and installed a background music system to it. The little intercom speakers did not produce enough low frequencies so I added an equalizer circuit to boost the low music frequencies then it sounded great. My government wanted a very high quality high fidelity intercom system for airports so I added high frequency equalization to the one I worked with and it was the only intercom system that met their hifi spec's.

In 1980, when my government allowed competition with BELL, the company I worked for began to sell, install and repair business telephone systems. I knew that the capacitance between wires in a landline cut high audio frequencies on long distance calls so the carrier company equalizes the frequency response by boosting the high audio frequencies. One day I called out on one telephone line and received on another telephone line then I measured the frequency response. It was horrible, 3kHz was down -12dB so I asked the carrier company why it was so bad. They said it was normal, their spec's limit is -15dB within a city where they do not equalize the audio.

Then I worked for a company that conferenced many telephone lines for banks, investment companies and other large companies. Users complained about the badly muffled sound. So I designed, built and demo'd an audio equalizer that boosted the high audio frequencies and it sounded so good that every demo I made sold one for each member in their conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.