Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET is not turning off perfectly at high frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DELETED USER

I am currently trying to build a circuit for load switching with power mosfet. But at high frequencies i am getting irregular waveform. kindly help me to sort this out.

Sure, I'll just use my magic crystal ball. Yes, yes, I can SEE your "irregular" waveforms They look awful!

And your schematic, why, I can see the problem right THERE! See there, where I'm pointing? No? Oh, too bad.

what barry is trying to say, in his inimitable way, is that you need to provide the schematic, including the mosfet, the mosfet drive, and the loads being switched
you also need to provide the oscilloscope wave traces showing the irregular waveforms
and if you have good waveforms at lower frequencies, provide those also

help can be provided, but it requires information

Last edited by a moderator:

what barry is trying to say, in his inimitable way, is that you need to provide the schematic, including the mosfet, the mosfet drive, and the loads being switched
you also need to provide the oscilloscope wave traces showing the irregular waveforms
and if you have good waveforms at lower frequencies, provide those also

help can be provided, but it requires information

Trigger.JPG

please find the above image/attachment in this reply

Last edited by a moderator:

Has your drive circuit enough 'push-pull' ooomf to overcome the MOSFET gate's capacitance at that speed, yet not introduce 'ringing' inductance ??

What's exactly shown in the waveform? You say "drain current", how is it probed? Can you show related Vds and Vgs at the MOSFET?

(1) 180 Ohm gate resistor is not suitable for high frequencies. Reduce gate resistor in-between 10 Ohm to 22 Ohm as operation during high frequency gate requires significant current to turn on/off mosfet due to its internal capacitance.

(2) According to my experience also put resistor of 4.7k to 10k between source and gate which ensures false switching as well as also increase turn off speed.

(3) As mentioned in other replies your gate driver may not supply sufficient current to turn off/on mosfet at high frequencies.

Schematic or more details from your side may be useful for assisting you.

You can find blog of one of Edabaord member "Thamid” Which explains gate driver circuits for MOSFET in detail.

Regards

Hi,

I think the OP is fooling us somehow by not giving useful informations.

Even after beeing informed about the lack of information he replied a couple more "riddles".
* No schematic, (especially the MOSFET driver circuit is requested a couple of times now)
* a useless scope picture without X scale, without Y scale and without information where in the circuit it is connected and whether we see voltage or current....

I have an idea what´s happening here, but I don´t want to post another unvalidated assumption.
(I don´t think the driver is too weak.
I don´t think the 180 Ohms resistor causes the problem.
And - in opposite of many of my other posts - I don´t think the PCB layout is the main problem here.
And I think even Thamid´s blog doesn´t discuss this behaviour.)

--> We need the requested informations to give good assistance.

Klaus

I don´t think the 180 Ohms resistor causes the problem.
It depends if the post #4 waveform is 100 µs or 1 µs scale. It's only been said that the "MOSFET is working perfectly till 1 kHz".

1kHz is not high freq, you have some problems - and possibly dead components you are un-aware of ...

Status
Not open for further replies.