Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Double LLC resonant converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuthenticQ

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all, I am designing a bidirectional DC DC converter comprising of two resonant tank. My topology is like two H bridge giving two square wave output to two LLC resonant tanks. I am employing PFM to maintain constant output voltage.
I have designed single core dual primary dual secondary HF transformer using PQ50/50 core with eqaul turn ratio of 4.2. The magnetizing inductance is around 570uH. The total resonant inductance is 136 uH and resonant capacitance is 111.86 nF.
However, the two square wave input from H bridge are not identical. Kindly look at the waveform. Blue and Pink are two input square waveform. and Cian n green is the secondary output of both transformer.

There is a DC offset in the H-bridge output waveform.
What could be the reason for it?

I employed a roughly designed RCD snubber too but of no use.

Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• tek0068.png
    tek0068.png
    30 KB · Views: 105

Full schematic...? to appear to have a DC offset in your drive from one or both of the H bridges ...

Full schematic...? to appear to have a DC offset in your drive from one or both of the H bridges ...

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, Can't show the topology schematic here.It's confidential at this stage.

The offset occurs in both H-bridge output as can be seen from blue and pink waveforms.
Can the mismatch of 10uH in magnetizing inductance result in such offset?

A H-bridge is switching DC bus voltage and can't generate DC offset as long it's actually switching. The shown waveform is either caused by a silly measurement error, an AC coupled measurement, or specific properties of your unknown topology.

Um - it can if the dead times are different - or the control signals are not symmetric

- - - Updated - - -

the ringing looks to be due to insufficient LoZ capacitance on the busses - or too much lead inductance between fets and bus caps - without photo's impossible to be specific ...

Thanks alot FvM and Easy Peasy.
I troubleshooted the problem. I had been using optocoupler based gate drive with variable gate resistor. The problem existed with the gate driver. Need to vary the gate resistor to get the square wave from H bridge.

Moreover, the ringing issue is supressed by using RC snubber.

Thanks again. Will post more threads for more doubts n shortcomings.

also -feel free to post some large clear shots of the H bridges working too ...!

Hello all.

The H-bridges are working fine. I employed phase shift modulation for voltage regulation. However the transformer output voltage shows lots of ringing and distorted waveform. The attached picture is the two LLC resonant tanks. The two transformers share a common core.
IMG_20190412_221446_HDR.jpg

The waveforms are as in the attached picturetek0089.png
Blue: Input square voltage
Cian: transformer secondary voltage
Green: Vds
Pink: Vgs

The phase shift modulation results in lots of ringing and distorted output voltage.
What could possibly the reason?

How important is shielding between primary and secondary winding of the transformers? I have used masking paper between the windings for isolation. It seems there is alot of stray inductance that could possibly one reason.

Kindly have a look and give suggestions. Thank you.

I'm afraid your layout may be too "open" to avoid ringing - also a schematic would help - are there 2 full H bridges? or only one, i.e. two half bridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.