Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Heating Pad (10cm x 5cm) Battery Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel_Done

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello - does anyone have recommendations for a compact 5V 1AMP battery holder (with on/off switch) that is able to power on the electric heating pad (link to heating pad provided below)? I connected two, CR2032 battery holders (which equaled a total of 6V) to the electric heating pad and zero heat was produced. It is important that the heating pad is heated from a battery powered source to ensure it is mobile.

Link to the heating pad I purchased: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1481?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIioPgvfLA4QIVQbXACh3irwFmEAQYAiABEgKJh_D_BwE

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Rachel

Hi,

I see electrics and electronics are not your favourite...

You only talk about battery holders, but what you need is a suitable battery.

A CR2032 surely is not suitable. It is much too small.
Do an internet search for "CR2032 datasheet".

The VARTA datasheet shows a voltage drop of about 0.25V at only 2mA load current.
This equals to an internal resistance of about 0.25V / 0.002A = 125 Ohms.
Even under best conditions you may only draw tiny 12mA x 1.5V = 18mW (with linear resistance and 125 Ohms load).

But your heater requires 5V x 1A = 5W = 5000mW
(You´d need more than 250 CR2032 to run your heater (for a short time).

The battery size not only depends on load current but also how long you want to run the heater.

Example:
Let´s say you need to run your heater for 5 hours (= 300 minutes) until your batteries are empty.
Then the energy you need is 5V x 5h x 1A = 5V x 5Ah = 25Wh
And your battery needs at to be able to drive 1A.

--> For such conditions I recommend a lead-gel rechargable battery like this:
6V 5Ah Akku, AGM Bleiakku, B.B. Battery BP5-6, 70x48x102 (lxbxh), Pol T1 Faston 187 (4,75 mm) , about 1kg
https://www.battery-discount.com/Ba...irui-TP6-4.0-6V-5Ah--replaces-4Ah-4-5Ah-.html

4 pieces "D" size batteries will provide power for a couple of hours before you nned to throw tham away.

Generally: heating = power consuming

Klaus

Yes - at 5V and up to 1A, for your chosen heater, you need 5W max, for 4 hour operation this is 20 watt hours, or 4 ampere-hours at say 6V ( as you can't really get 5V batteries )

this is a moderately large size battery - even in Li-Ion - I suggest you look up 2 x 3V Li-Ion cells, 5Ah ( amp hour) on ali express to get an idea of size and weight

- - - Updated - - -

In lead acid these would be quite heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.