Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip differential impedance depending on line width

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtec

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody!

I'm trying to simulate differential impedance of a couple of microstrip lines in ADS. I've found this post:

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?329819-100-Ohm-Microstrip-differential-line-design

Where volker@muehlhaus and tony_lth provides a really useful workspace to achieve this, but I'm not able to get it simulated varying trace width instead of frequency. If some of them or anybody else could help I would be really pleased.

Thank you in advance

Hi volker,

The problem with the workspace I mentioned is that I'm not able to assign width parameter to your schematic tracks. Therefore, I cannot follow your (great) tutorial. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. Thank you again.

Looking at the screenshots, I think that was a static layout used for EM. Have a look at the appnote mentioned in #2 above

Looking at the screenshots, I think that was a static layout used for EM. Have a look at the appnote mentioned in #2 above

Hi Volker,

Thank you again. The problem I'm going through with your tutorial is that I'm not able to change track width neither on the schematic nor on Layout. Therefore, I cannot assign a parameter to update layout and being able to perform the simulation varying that parameter. This is the only thing I'm getting when clicking in the line.

ads_eda.PNG

I'm guessing I have to change it in the schematic and assign the parameter name before updating the layout, isn't it? Or is it possible to do it directly from the layout.

Thanks again.

The problem I'm going through with your tutorial is that I'm not able to change track width neither on the schematic nor on Layout.

Yes, that is when the cell has a static layout, with no parameters. I can only repeat: carefully read the appnote in #2 above. It explains how to create a parameterized layout for EM, instead of the fixed layout cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.