Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thoughts on LCPXpresso and Crosscore Embedded Studio Licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebhoi01

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am planning to venture on ARM based MCUs. With my research I have narrowed down my option on what manufacturer and IDE should I go into. Here are the ff:

1. NXP's LCP Xpresso IDE
2. Analog Devices' Crosscore Embedded Studio IDE
3. Atmel Studio IDE

I was discouraged with the Atmel Studio since there are lots of negative comments about it. Yes, it may be a strong platform for AVR programming but not for SAM (ARM based MCUs).

Now I am deciding between NXP (LCPXpresso) & Analog Devices (Crosscore ES), I like to try out the AD Crosscore but the license fee is a staggering 995$ and for a hobbyiest like me, that is ridiculously a ton of money. My question is how can a consumer like me who likes to go and test the AD ARM-based MCU without spending 995$ on an IDE.

If this would be the case, ofc, I will go with LCP Xpresso IDE as there are no other options I suppose. One thing I'd like to know from you guys is your experiences with regards to using LCP Xpresso or Atmel SAM devices. Any will be of great help, good or bad.

Thank you, looking forward of hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Unfortunately, all micro**it compilers are useless for serious work due their closed libraries.
Atollic TrueSTUDIO for STM32 is free :)

Is it possible to program non-ST ARM processors with Atollic TrueSTUDIO? I am thinking of using Eclipse IDE combined with GCC Compiler, this is by far the cheapest option where I can use different chips from different manufacturers. Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.