Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quality and reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When small semiconductor manufacturers which haven't been around as more reputable ones have all the most basic iso and environmental and ohsas certifications for production and development does it necessitate their parts aren't as reliable as from more reputable and well known manufacturers?

Last edited:

...more reputable and well known manufacturers?

i'll have to ask my friend the psychologist about how you worded the question.

ford, gm and chrysler have been making cars for a long time. hundai and kia not so long
but all of the cars are of comparable quality and reliability.
(i'll probably get an argument, but) most of the difference depends on the operator.

every semiconductor manufacturer started out small
i remember when new, small company, monolithic memories invented programmable logic
we used some (20RA10, 22V10 and some earlier plane combinatorial logic) - they worked fine

so Zak28, do your research, pay your money and make your choice let us know what you did and how it worked out

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i'll have to ask my friend the psychologist about how you worded the question.

ford, gm and chrysler have been making cars for a long time. hundai and kia not so long
but all of the cars are of comparable quality and reliability.
(i'll probably get an argument, but) most of the difference depends on the operator.

every semiconductor manufacturer started out small
i remember when new, small company, monolithic memories invented programmable logic
we used some (20RA10, 22V10 and some earlier plane combinatorial logic) - they worked fine

so Zak28, do your research, pay your money and make your choice let us know what you did and how it worked out

Involving then comparing entirely dissimilar industries bares no practical value to your input. Semiconductors not comparable to automotive industry especially considering how many standardized parts there are within the semiconductor industry which are supposed to be nearly identical from each manufacturer.

Last edited:

Perhaps the question can be paraphrased:

"What happened to the electronics market, since we were accustomed to long-lasting quality parts made by US and European manufacturers (add Japan as well)?... And then we started hearing reports about 'fake' electronic parts coming from the Far East? And then parts with specs incredibly overrated, yet so cheaply fabricated, that their low prices make them hard to resist in spite of their notoriously short lifetime? And that's the electronics market we have today?"

Here in the US we once had Heathkit and Lafayette stores where we could go for reliable parts. Radio Shack chains became big, then it too declined.
Perhaps we lose in some ways, yet gain in other ways. For example 3D printing has the promise of turning any electronics enthusiast into a parts manufacturer. And they'll struggle with mistakes and reliability issues. Will we gain more, or lose more? Can any of us say for certain?

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Perhaps the question can be paraphrased:

"What happened to the electronics market, since we were accustomed to long-lasting quality parts made by US and European manufacturers (add Japan as well)?... And then we started hearing reports about 'fake' electronic parts coming from the Far East? And then parts with specs incredibly overrated, yet so cheaply fabricated, that their low prices make them hard to resist in spite of their notoriously short lifetime? And that's the electronics market we have today?"

Here in the US we once had Heathkit and Lafayette stores where we could go for reliable parts. Radio Shack chains became big, then it too declined.
Perhaps we lose in some ways, yet gain in other ways. For example 3D printing has the promise of turning any electronics enthusiast into a parts manufacturer. And they'll struggle with mistakes and reliability issues. Will we gain more, or lose more? Can any of us say for certain?

Online retail likely is responsible for much of this counterfeit reselling otherwise authorized channels would be more utilized. Then there are those who purchase counterfeits and resell them on decent online retail shops.

It seems regardless of certifications, the important aspect about reliability for a manufacturer is floor space, online site depicting support info along with other specific things pertinent to their products and perhaps some documentation providing results for their parts under substantial load not pertinent to derating values.

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/HBD851-D.PDF

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.