Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor for PFC boost application

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am trying to design an inductor for a 300W PFC. It turns out to be a 470uH inductor with greater than 4A saturation current.
I figured out that iron powder cores along with its derivatives such as Sendust, MPP etc fit well for this application since they have relatively low permeability and thus can handle higher ampere-turn as compared to ferrites.
But I also realized that there are gapped ferrite cores available in the market with lower permeability. They are also available in different shapes such as EE, RM, pot etc. These will be easier to wind as compared to iron powder counterparts that are generally available in totoids.
My question is:
What are the advantages (if any) of sendust, MPP etc over gapped ferrites in DC bias application? Should I go for gapped ferrite or iron powder? What is the common practice in market?
Please share your experience.
Thank you!

depends on your sales volume.
Sendust etc cores never have bobbins off-the-shelf, so you have to pay for that to be made...if you have big sales, that is no problem.
Ferrite has less core loss, so if you are doing BCM PFC , then its ferrite all the way.
At 300W, i suppose you may be looking to start into CCM, so from that point on the sendust etc is better really

Status
Not open for further replies.