Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] communicate 3 PICs mcu using ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

anasbou

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'd like to start implementing a system consisting of 3 microcontrollers, but I would like to know the possibilities to let them communicate one with the other.

Ideally, 2 microcontrollers are acting as slaves, while the last (the "master") one is connected to a PC via RJ45. The problems I have right now is how to connect these 2 microcontrollers to the "master". The slaves MCUs perform very simple tasks (turning on/off a LED).

To go towards a useful question, you need to specify data rates, payload and other requirements like communication distance etc.

Ethernet communication is certainly possible (typically the Microchip Ethernet interfaces use SPI back to the MCU; just make sure the MCU has enough FLASH and data memory for the IP stack) and will allow any to talk to any other.
However, as intimated above, Ethernet can be a bit of 'overkill' depending on what information is required to be exchanged.
Using the UARTs on the MCUs will allow the master to talk to the slaves simultaneously (if needed). If you only have 1 SPI interface on the master then you can select the slave to communicate with using the \CS\ that is unique to eac slave.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.