Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

powering a mini pump using a GPIO pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

abouabdelmajid

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone. My raspberry GPIO pin generate 3v 40ma and i am wondring if i can use a booster step up to power up a mini pump (12v 0.5a) using the GPIO pin with this booster step up without using the relay and a new outside power source ? if its impossible can anybody tell me if there is a way to power my mini pump with the GPIO pin without using an other power outside source ?

No, it can't be done.

Power is what matters. Using the formula Watts = Volts x Amps, the GPIO can produce at most 3V at 0.04A = 0.12W
Your pump needs 12V at 0.5A = 6W.

Additionally, the GPIO pin voltage will be slightly lower than 3V at full 40mA load and the booster will not be 100% efficient (think of about 75% as a ball park figure) so you actually need even more power than 6W to run the pump.

You can still use the GPIO to control the pump but not to power it directly.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back