Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Posit Arithmetic VS Floating-Point (IEEE 754) Arithmetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

promach

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What do you guys think about posit arithmetic standard ?

QBGPUYb.png

One of the bigger cost items of implementing floating point in HW is the barrel shifter. Posit math makes that worse, because now the mantissa needs to be shifted before it can be used.

Someone told me the above, any comments ?

Ive never heard of Posit
There is loads of IP in Floating point

You'll get loads of support for floating. Likely very little (if any) for posit.

I know which one I would use...

sure, but read the pdf link from page 24 onwards, and you will wonder why posits seem to be better

- - - Updated - - -

Why does posits beat floats at both dynamic range and accuracy ?

posit is a variable exponent width format. This is how the format encodes this.

but how does posit knows when to use how many exponent bits for each range of number ? Regime bits alone are not enough to encode this

For example , between -1 and 1 , I want 7 bits of exponent . Then between -10 and -1 , 1 and 10 , I want only 3 bits of exponent

How am I going to program the regime bits to achieve this purpose ?

There are "up-to" a fixed number of exponent bits. Regime is RLE encoded. If the RLE encoding takes enough bits, exponent bits are lost.

The format, as described, has the most data points (geometrically) between 0.5 and 2.0 and -0.5 and -2.0. Very large (|x|>>2) and very small points (|x|<<0.5) have more regime bits, at most equal exponent bits, and fewer fractional bits.

The format you describe is not posit. It is some other variation of tapered floating point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back