Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST dual polarized H-slot antenna is very well matched but has poor total efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celeye

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As the title says I am doing a project to design an antenna for base stations in mobile communication using CST software. I have attained a very good match at both ports (I have attached a word document with screenshots). The problem I am having is that the total efficiency at the resonant frequency (3.4GHz) is just above 20% when ideally it should be around 70%. I am not sure what the reason for this is I am using FR4 for the substrates and PEC for the ground and patch. There must be some sort of error in the design but I have no idea what it is, I will attach my CST file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• CST.zip
    792.9 KB · Views: 108

Hi,
My CST version is lower than your installed CST, I have not been successful to open your CST file. However, your have used FR-4 substrate for frequencies more than 2 Ghz? its loss tangent decreases the efficiency of the antenna. I would prefer to use Rogers series instead of FR-4.

Hi,
My CST version is lower than your installed CST, I have not been successful to open your CST file. However, your have used FR-4 substrate for frequencies more than 2 Ghz? its loss tangent decreases the efficiency of the antenna. I would prefer to use Rogers series instead of FR-4.

I have reran your simulation and added monitors for the e and h field at your resonant frequency. This allowes to display the power loss in dielectrics (In 1D results -> Power). And the results confirm the assumption from baby_2 that the dielectric is the main cause for your decreased efficiency. I have attached an image of the simulation result. simResult.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back