Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSO oscilloscope saving single shot trigger event to memory for power supply startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxpu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a feauture for a DSO, but dont know which DSO brands are capable of doing it. My Fluke 199C seems not to have this feuture.

I want to save the first 100ms of the power supply startup sequence to DSO memory.

I want to set a triger event ex: If the input goes over 100mV, the DSO will start to save the whole sequence until the momory is full. And very important if the memory is full, it will not roll to the beginning of the memory and rewrite the memory. It will just stop after the memory is full. It should be possible to zoom and look at this long sequence.

Example:

DSO have 1Mpoint memory.

Time division is 10ns.

My event starting trigger level is set as 100mV. It shuold mean if the input signal rises above 100mV, DSO will start to save with a sampling rate of 10ns until the memory of 1Mpoints is full. This means with a sampling interval of 10ns , 1Mpoints will be full after 10ms.

Once the starting event trigger is satisfied, the DSO should go ahead with the saving sequence independent of the trigger level.

Can any DSO do that?. If yes which one?

(I am trying to save the startup of a power supply as detiled as possible). Each point of the output with a resolution of 10ns after the input raises above 100mV.

Best regards.

Tektronix and LeCroy and other make fine 'scopes.
I am sure that they make a device that can measure what you want.
set the scope to single trace and trigger on your start signal

tektronix TBS2000 series
https://www.tek.com/datasheet/digital-storage-oscilloscope
2 and 4 analog channel models
100 and 70 MHz bandwidth models
Up to 1 GS/s sampling rate
20 M record length on all channels
5 year warranty

I used a 4 channel LeCroy more that 25 years ago that could trigger on some event, and the recorded information
could be before the trigger or after the trigger, with the amount before or after could be adjusted

Last edited:

Tektronix and LeCroy and other make fine 'scopes.
I am sure that they make a device that can measure what you want.
set the scope to single trace and trigger on your start signal

tektronix TBS2000 series
https://www.tek.com/datasheet/digital-storage-oscilloscope
2 and 4 analog channel models
100 and 70 MHz bandwidth models
Up to 1 GS/s sampling rate
20 M record length on all channels
5 year warranty

I used a 4 channel LeCroy more that 25 years ago that could trigger on some event, and the recorded information
could be before the trigger or after the trigger, with the amount before or after could be adjusted

Thanks for the detailed info.

As alternative I have Rigol MSO5074 200Mpoints!!!. It means for a scope of 2000 ms (2 seconds) I get into details up to 10ns.
It costs 999$ (4 channel) and 909$ (2 channel).

200Mpoints is huge difference to 20Mpoints. But tektronix has its quality. ( Despite 20Mpoints it is probably a little bir expensive though)

What do you think abaout it? More details and rigol or more quality?!? and tektronix?

I have a Fluke scopemeter 199C. It has x2 1000V Cat III *isolated* inputs. But unfortunatelly only 3000 points of storage. No details. I must also purchase 2 differential probes (1000V CAT III) for the DSO which adds too much cost.

never heard of Rigol until today
you should select the 'scope with the features you want/need at the price you can afford.

side issue: the website I saw had the price in euros, not dollars, so add 20%

All digital oscilloscopes can do this. Just select trigger mode "single", not "normal" or "auto".

Reactions: rxpu

rxpu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Many entry-level oscilloscopes are available with large memory depth. Siglent and Rigol are two brands worth looking at. Rigol's stuff is ripped off from Agilent/Keysight designs, and they're pretty good ripoffs.

rxpu

Many entry-level oscilloscopes are available with large memory depth. Siglent and Rigol are two brands worth looking at. Rigol's stuff is ripped off from Agilent/Keysight designs, and they're pretty good ripoffs.

MSO 5074 seems really attractive. 4 channels. 200Mpoints of storage. costs 999$ .

For 10ns sampling interval (100Msample/s) I can store 2000ms. 2 seconds.
For 50 ns sampling interval , (20Msample/s) I can store 8000ms 8 seconds.
For 100ns sampling interval, (10Msample/s) I can store 20000ms 20 seconds.

I am considering buying one. But my problem is that I need 1000V cat III inputs. Unfortunatelly this means I should spend double or maybe triple the cost of the DSO. A single 1000V cat III probe is more expensive than the DSO. :-(

For the cost of 2 1000V cat III probes, I could buy 3 Rigol MS5074!!!!!!

My scopemeter Fluke 199C has only 3000 points of storage. But it has 2 isolated 1000V cat III inputs.

Standard solution for getting high voltage inputs is to use a HV differential probe. If you keep an eye on ebay, you can get tektronix P5200 probes for ~$300 a set.

You might also consider cleverscope, which now offers a model with four isolate channels: https://cleverscope.com/products/CS448

rxpu

Status
Not open for further replies.