Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Learning C programming of 8051

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can anyone point me to a book/website/ YouTube resource for learning C programming of 8051. I searched the net; there are several websites with C tutorials; I don’t know which is good to follow. Previously I had done assembly language programming of 8051; I don’t know anything in embedded C. BTW I am looking for anything other than Mazidi book - it has both assembly and C programming in it; this confuses me.

Any pointers would be thankfully accepted.

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

Hi,

Sorry I can´t give you an answer to your question.

But I think the 8051 are outdated now - although still widely used.
But there are more modern microcontroller, cheaper, faster, more periferals, lees power consumption ...

I mean: When you now start to learn new things, then why not do this with modern hardware.

Microcip AVR or PIC, STM and many more...

Klaus

OK got your view point. Basically I wanted to learn C programming of ARM. But since I dont know embedded C, I thought I will first learn it on 8051 and then proceed with learning ARM programming. Since you suggest that I should learn with modern uCs, do you suppose one can straight away learn C on ARM? If so, can you point me to a book/ web resource to start doing so?

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta.

Hi,

my personal opinion:
If you want to learn C for ARM, then I see no need to learn other microcontroller first.

Klaus

The 8051 and the small PIC processors have an architecture that is very bad for C.
The best compilers for those processors make a good job to hide some of the problems, but if the goal is to learn C you should use a processor that is supported by the gcc compiler (ARM is one of them).

Hi,

Can anyone point me to a book/website/ YouTube resource for learning C programming of 8051. I searched the net; there are several websites with C tutorials; I don’t know which is good to follow. Previously I had done assembly language programming of 8051; I don’t know anything in embedded C. BTW I am looking for anything other than Mazidi book - it has both assembly and C programming in it; this confuses me.

Any pointers would be thankfully accepted.

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

as you said ,u have done assembly programming in 8051 , so u might not have any problem in logic and architecture of microcontroller,. now you simply need to put your logic in c language ,. (there is nothing different so called "embedded c" than regular C language) , just know the syntax , read a c language book ,any book which can clear your basic funda , after then you can go through few or more examples 8051 programing in C from internet ,.i think nothing more than this required to learn what u want..

Status
Not open for further replies.