Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] DDS vs PLL RF Link Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktr

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am wondering whats the difference between DDS generated chirp and PLL generated chirp's phase noise characteristics in Radar Link budget analysis? It seems many papers reference DDS as a suitable option to PLL but I would have assumed digital signals having more phase noise due to clock jitter etc. when compared to a Colpitt Oscillator.

I am trying to do a RF Budget analysis to determine my receiver noise floor, DDS solutions are confusing me; in most cases a frequency multiplier is needed to get the carrier frequency up to C or X band (ISM) levels for proper operation; but should not that get away from using a Digital Generator principle?

Reference: Understanding Millimetre Wave FMCW Radars, Graham Brooker
Reference2 : Tx Leakage Cancellation of K-band Radar with Balanced Topology, Jeong-Geun Kim

Regards,

ktr

back in the day, people used analog ramp generators and a PLL-like tracking system to make a linear chirp. BUT it had serious linearity problems, and had a reset issue too.
SO although a DDS might have a little worse noise, making the chirp absolutely linear to within the bit look up table's accuracy is a big help for things like subclutter visability.

Status
Not open for further replies.