Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best microcontroller for WPA2 Enterprise connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukisek

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I have to do a project which using WPA2 Enterprise connection to sending some data to the server application. I tried this on NodeMCU ESP8266 but this device has too small RAM memory because I have to use certificates to get access to the AP. So when I use nodemcu it works properly but sometime it crash... I need more stable device without any crashes. Can you recommend me some nice devices which I could program in Arduino IDE?

Thank you.

Hi,

You already know that memory is low... but the same time miss to tell how much memory you need.

Klaus

Just a little more than ESP8266 but also it can has definitly more. ESP8266 is almost the best solution because it has deep sleep mode so power consumption is small.

Without knowing how much memory you actually need it's difficult to advise but you could consider ESP32 as an alternative to ESP8266. From the outside they are similar but ESP32 has more memory/speed/IO pins and also has a Bluetooth interface. It can be programmed with Arduino IDE.

Brian.

I thought about ESP32 and now I consider to use it instead of ESP8266. Thank you Brian.
Sorry Klaus I have expressed myself in bad way and of course 2 bytes more would be still little. ESP8266 has 160 kBytes RAM and I think that doubling this value would be perfect. Sorry for understatement.

Lukas.

Ok then thank you for advice but I think that I will buy NodeMCU module with WROOM32 because I have to load certificate and this certificate expires after a year. So after this time I can plug usb to the nodemcu and reprogram controller with the new one certificate. I don't have any idea about how to update certificate in device without connecting to the usb. Is there possibility that certificate will be read from a sdcard? Then it's easy just replace the sdcard. Hmm I have to read about some solutions but it's not easy to find some useful informations. I figured out that most of projects on ESP are realized on simple wpa2 AP connection with login and password not with certificate.

I've never tried it but I can't see any reason why the certificate can't be saved to an SD card. It is only a text file.
This might give you some ideas:

Brian.

Thank you so much Brian for tips. Yeah, certificate is only text file but when I use it to authentication on radius then it has to be in RAM after all... Ok I have to try some ways to get the required result. Anyway I will try.

Lukas.

Status
Not open for further replies.