Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I get my transmitter/microwave link tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat42

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, I bought a 'home made' 150W FM transmitter and microwave link to set up a pirate radio station when I moved to Barcelona about 20 years ago.
I never actually got round to setting it up as a radio station but tested it a couple of times and it worked fine.

So, fast forward 20 years, I'm living in Loughborough and I've taken all the bits and pieces out of the boxes in my garage and set it up to see if it's still working.

All the lights and the fan for the transmitter come on, but I have no signal. I've checked all the fuses and they seem fine.....sadly, that's as far as my knowledge goes when it comes to electronics, so can someone recommend a place in or near Loughborough, Leicestershire where I could get this checked out.
Thanks
Pat

A Ham radio set often is a lifesaver in times of emergency. Or else it can be called 'micropower' broadcast. (Those names sound better than 'pirate'.)

'Homemade'... Whether you find an electronics repairman who operates a shop or out of his home, few are eager to spend time puzzling over a homemade transmitter. He'll spend a while figuring out what is where, and accordingly he'll charge you a lot per hour.

Look around for a ham operator club in your area, or repeater operating crew. They probably are not as common as they used to be but the internet might list a website for a local club. Or just one enthusiast who knows enough about transmitters to help you. Attend a few meetings so you can identify who's knowledgable. Wait until later to say your rig doesn't work. If you do mention it, consider that the topic of money might be raised. Perhaps you should say it's worth money to you.

What about your receiver section? Does it work? Every morning dial around the bands listening for local operators. Several might join in a ring to talk about their rigs or the weather or their health. If one is nearby, his transmissions tend to be loud and clear, free of static.

Ham operators like to put up a large antenna outdoors, which you might spot driving by. These days it's unpredictable who is leery of strangers knocking on his door. It's up to you to figure out the best way to introduce yourself. It might help if you can tell him you hear a loud clear voice over the airwaves, and ask does he transmit at that time?

If you're lucky the guy will invite you to visit his shack, and show off his rig. On a later day he might look into your transmitter and quickly solve the problem, and say 'It was easy to fix, there's no charge.'

Reactions: Pat42

Pat42

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the reply Brad.

Yeah you're right about the repairman.....there's one in town who charged me a small fortune for a small job. Never again!

Hmmmm.....maybe pirate radio means something different over there. In the UK it comes form the days when the BBC only broadcast the news and classical or easy listening music.
A radio station called Radio Caroline started broadcasting the devils music (rock and roll :)) and poisoning teenagers minds from a ship in the North sea, believe it or not, hence the name pirate radio.

Over the years hundreds of illegal stations have popped up all over the place using small transmitters. Some stay, most disappear.
A lot have gone on to the internet......but some have an FM transmitter as well as the internet presence so that people can listen on a car radio

The transmitter I have is basically set to a certain FM frequency to be used for an illegal radio station to play underground music, normally to promote the DJs or raves/parties

The studio would be in one location and the microwave link would link to the 150W transmitter/repeater so that the authorities can only triangulate to where the transmitter is but can't find the studio.

Like I say, it was working fine before I shipped it back to the UK, but I can't figure out if it's the microwave link that's at fault or the actual transmitter.

I did email the university which is right next door to where I live and has a huge electonics department, to ask if they could help and told them I don't mind paying, but they never replied.

I just want to get it repaired so I can sell it on. It originally cost me £1200 to get built......someone else might as well make some use of it.

But thanks for the advice, and I'll have a look for ham operators in my area

Cheers!!

Here in the US 'micropower' broadcasting is legal (within certain guidelines). So you might find more prospective buyers in the US (and with no obligation to describe your rig as 'illegal').

The reputable QSL.net website tells about their own license-free micropower station:

https://www.qsl.net/kb0p/wcr.html

Thanks Brad, I'll have a look later.....work beckons!!

20 years is a long time. Odds are the electrolytic capacitors have failed by now

Reactions: Pat42

Pat42

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A Ham radio set often is a lifesaver in times of emergency. Or else it can be called 'micropower' broadcast. (Those names sound better than 'pirate'.)

'Homemade'... Whether you find an electronics repairman who operates a shop or out of his home, few are eager to spend time puzzling over a homemade transmitter. He'll spend a while figuring out what is where, and accordingly he'll charge you a lot per hour.

Look around for a ham operator club in your area, or repeater operating crew. They probably are not as common as they used to be but the internet might list a website for a local club. Or just one enthusiast who knows enough about transmitters to help you. Attend a few meetings so you can identify who's knowledgable. Wait until later to say your rig doesn't work. If you do mention it, consider that the topic of money might be raised. Perhaps you should say it's worth money to you.

What about your receiver section? Does it work? Every morning dial around the bands listening for local operators. Several might join in a ring to talk about their rigs or the weather or their health. If one is nearby, his transmissions tend to be loud and clear, free of static.

You seem to have completely misunderstood the OP

A 150W FM transmitter is not micropower by any stretch of the imagination

The OP is trying to get his highly illegal, hence PIRATE, transmitter up and running and transmitting 150W illegally WILL get the OP into trouble

You were the only one to mention a receiver. There is normally no receiver associated with a Pirate transmitter (UNLESS it was a bit of commercial ham gear )

Dave

You seem to have completely misunderstood the OP

A 150W FM transmitter is not micropower by any stretch of the imagination

The OP is trying to get his highly illegal, hence PIRATE, transmitter up and running and transmitting 150W illegally WILL get the OP into trouble

You were the only one to mention a receiver. There is normally no receiver associated with a Pirate transmitter (UNLESS it was a bit of commercial ham gear )

Dave

Of course you are correct if we look only at that side of it, and only in some parts of the world. On the other hand laws are not the same in every part of the world. So I guess that's why (in my naivety) I tried instead to emphasize the lifesaving uses of radio equipment, in view that hams often become invaluable in a crisis. And one or another crisis seems to be ongoing in many parts of the world.

I can bet that transmitting 150W without a license in FM broadcast band is illegal in ALL countries in the world.

I can bet that transmitting 150W without a license in FM broadcast band is illegal in ALL countries in the world.

Probably not illegal in 'ALL' the countries in the world

Not sure where abouts in the world you are, but in the UK, pirate FM radio is still big here.

Not only the 'frequency police', but the 'performing rights' folk will be after you.

Former would merely 'seize, smash and fine'. Latter will so sue you down to your sox...

D'you wonder 'internet radio' is popular ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back