Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Calculating current in a wire in hfss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unaz

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to use the calculator to find the current in a wire. The recipe book says to make a closed line orthogonal to the wire, and it should not interested the wire. My question is how do we do that? Where do we make the line? How do we make it closed? Closed line wouldn't be a circle?

please provide more information

what calculator?
what recipe book?
what do you know, that you need to find the current?
is hfss ANSYS High Frequency Structure simulator - a finite element package for 3D EM Field simulation?

anything other pertinent information?

I am stimulating a reciever patch antenna array using an incident far field of a Tx patch array. So I have made ports in the reciever with 0W. I want to find the amount of current induced in the ports due to the incident field. I am doing this in HFSS. To calculate the current I using
**broken link removed**
on page 10.

I think this is the operative quote:

A closed line for the integration path must be created using GeometryÆCreateÆLine before beginning calculator operations. The line must be orthogonal to the direction of current flow, should not intersect the wire/trace, and should not be too much bigger than the wire/trace.

The closed line orthogonal to the wire is a circle, concentric with the wire, of some radius. The plane of the circle must be orthogonal (perpendicular) to the wire.
This looks like Ampere's Law in reverse. In Ampere's Law, one calculates the magnetic field around the wire based on the current in the wire.

Yes it is ampere's law.
However if you make the closed line a circle. HFSS considers it a surface not a line. Is there any way of making a circular line

there is a from of maxwell's equations / ampere's law where the integral over a closed curve of the magnetic field is equal to the integral over the surface that closed curve bounds of the current density

look for the formulation in SI units
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations

what HFSS is "doing" may be ok

I think you're not getting my question. I don't have any problem with the maxwell's eqs or with understanding it. I just need to make a closed line orthogonal to the wire. I want to know how to do that in HFSS

- - - Updated - - -

I have figured it myself.
FYI because HFSS 19 would automatically change a closed line to a surface, you have to select the face. Edit-->uncover face. This would change it into a line

I will admit I know nothing about HFSS
I did get your question primarily because I have some understanding of Maxwell's Equations
All the other discussions helped you figure it out.
Good work

Hi Unaz,

Yes, this is simple. Under the "Draw" menu use the "Line" tool to draw a closed path. By default, HFSS will fill the path to make a surface using the "CoverLines" process. Simply delete this, and you have your closed loop.

Then, use the fields calculator ("HFSS"->"Fields"->"Calculator"). Select "Quantity"->"H", then "Complex"->"Real" (or imaginary, unfortunately you can't leave it complex), then "Geometry..."->"Line" and select the line you drew. Press "Tangent", then the integrate symbol. Press "Add" and give the quantity a name.

To plot this value, create a new "Fields" report, and select your quantity under "Calculator Expressions".

Good Luck!

Reactions: Unaz

Unaz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back