Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Negative VCO transfer function

Status
Not open for further replies.

CataM

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

The VCO XR2206 shows at page 11 that the kVCO is negative. That introduces 180º phase in the transfer function of a PLL making it unstable. How can PLLs built around XR2206 work ?

What am I missing ? Obivously if kVCO was positive, we had no problem, but how is that justified ?

Any comment is appreciated.

Interchange the reference and feedback clock inputs of your PFD.

XOR phase detectors do not capture the frequency information but only the phase information. You can also align the phase by lowering the frequency for a certain amount of time. (Phase is periodic) Thus in this case, it does not matter. [See Razavi's PLL chapter in "Design of Analog CMOS IC" ]

Thus in this case, it does not matter.
Well yes it does. As I mentioned, the loop gain is phase shifted with additional 180º making it unstable.

PLL is implemented as: XOR phase detector kpd>0 --> LPF --> kVCO<0 (for XR2206) can you see it ? (unity gain negative feedback)

Hi,

Well yes it does. As I mentioned, the loop gain is phase shifted with additional 180º making it unstable.

PLL is implemented as: XOR phase detector kpd>0 --> LPF --> kVCO<0 (for XR2206) can you see it ? (unity gain negative feedback)
I don't think so.
Please check low pass filtered XOR output vs phase_shift.
--> You will see it has equal positive as well as negative slope.
Thus the input polarity does not care. Even loop gain will be the same.

The only thing that happens is that the resulting phase alignment changes.

Klaus

Reactions: CataM

CataM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Right. XOR detector transfer function is a triangle for square wave signals. Depending on the VCO slope sign, the PLL either locking on the rising or falling triangle part.

Reactions: CataM

CataM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Alright. That was it. I was missing the triangle wave of the XOR phase detector. Since kVCO<0, the PLL will lock in the [Π, 2*Π] interval where kPD<0.

Status
Not open for further replies.