Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of a lightning pulse generator (current generator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafik-foudre

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Currently I am a student in master electromagnetic compatibility, I am working on a design project of a lightning impulse generator (power generator), please can you recommend some documents on the subject?

Thank you,

Are you aware of IEC 61000-4-5 Testing and measurement techniques – Surge immunity test?

Are you aware of IEC 61000-4-5 Testing and measurement techniques – Surge immunity test?

yes i know it, my problem i want a pulse generator that delivers about 120 KA with an effective impedance of around 800 Ohm,

I'm lost :???:, do you have any ideas on that

yes I'm watching this, I want to do a design of a pulse generator (current) that delivers 120 KA with an efffective impedance about 400-800 Ohm. I'm a little lost, you have ideas or documentation on this design?
Thank you
Best regards,

The intended current and voltage levels are far beyond the range of any regular EMC test. I wonder if they have been ever realized in a high voltage laboratory. Even if so, they are surely out of reach for a compact test generator.

Hi,

doesn´t "120kA with an effective impedance of 800 Ohms" mean that you need a voltage of at least 96MV = 96,000kV = 96,000,000V?

It is in the range of a serious lightning bolt.

Klaus

I see that generators for direct lightning stroke simulation are usually in a several 100 kV to a few MV range. Effective impedances are a few ohms maximal.

A smaller test generator looks like this https://phenixtech.com/Files/Admin/PDF/901200_Impulse_Generators.pdf

is it you have an idea to increase the effective impedance but it is reassuring that the current of 100 KA or more???
IEC 61000-4-5 Testing and measurement techniques – Surge immunity test: the imepdance it's about 2 Ohm
Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.