Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase printed meandered dipole antenna bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I am new in antenna design and I need help to increase the bandwidth of my printed meandered dipole antenna. the current bandwidth of this antenna is just only 13MHz and i wish to increase it to 500MHz. Can someone please give me some ideas on how to increase the bandwidth?
I am using FR4 substrate with Er 4.7.

Capture.PNG

thanks in advance!

p.s. i am really new to this

What is your antenna central frequency?
Google for "wideband fr4 dipole" images, there are many papers with similar configuration.
For very wide bandwidth use another topology, for example magnetoelectric dipole.

According to antenna theory, there's an upper limit for the achievable bandwidth of an electrical small antenna. It's unlikely that you can increase the bandwidth of a meandered dipole without making it larger or add intentional losses.

What is your antenna central frequency?
Google for "wideband fr4 dipole" images, there are many papers with similar configuration.
For very wide bandwidth use another topology, for example magnetoelectric dipole.

thanks for the reply! i plan to make it fc=750MHz so that its range is from 500MHz to 1GHz

- - - Updated - - -

so you mean if i increase the antenna size, i will be likely go get a larger bandwidth? :thinker:

- - - Updated - - -

According to antenna theory, there's an upper limit for the achievable bandwidth of an electrical small antenna. It's unlikely that you can increase the bandwidth of a meandered dipole without making it larger or add intentional losses.

so you mean if i increase the antenna size, i will be likely go get a larger bandwidth? :thinker:

There is not much to do to increase the BW of this antenna type (printed meandered dipole). Its BW is about 7% of central frequency (for 2:1 VSWR). Depending of the dielectric material and its thickness.
Changing the antenna size it will change only the resonant frequency, but not the % of the bandwidth.

Get rid of the meander. Changing the antenna geometry to regular straight dipole will surely increase the bandwidth, but not up to 2:1.

Get rid of the meander. Changing the antenna geometry to regular straight dipole will surely increase the bandwidth, but not up to 2:1.

i wish i could hahaha... i was given a specific antenna for my project. so yeah.. that's sad.

There is not much to do to increase the BW of this antenna type (printed meandered dipole). Its BW is about 7% of central frequency (for 2:1 VSWR). Depending of the dielectric material and its thickness.
Changing the antenna size it will change only the resonant frequency, but not the % of the bandwidth.

hmm...any idea where can i find the proof to support this claim when i tell my lecturer about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back