Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detect Reverse Polarity of Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsanthosh67

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a coil, it will have the resistance of 1.5Ω. Assume, if the coil is winded 10 turns with clockwise or anti clockwise it will have the same resistance but is it possible to detect it is winded in clockwise or anti clockwise.

Hi,

Is that the same as transformer windings? i.e. Coupling the coil to an identical value coil whose winding direction is known would show if the unknown coil were CW or CCW?

I'm going to expand on what d123 stated.

Add a similar coil in line (on the same axis) with the one you want to check. Apply a known signal to the similar coil and see what comes from the coil under test. If the waveforms are in the same phase, they are wound the same way, if the signal is inverted they are wound in opposite rotation.

Brian.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
With 10 turns it might be enough to influence a compass needle. Try a known coil with the compass, then compare the effect of the unknown coil.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back