Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input common mode simulation for the fully differential amplifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junus2012

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,

I know how to simulate the input common mode range of the amplifier by connecting it as a buffer and sweeping the input and monitoring the output voltage, the input common mode range will be then defined by the linear region from the output graph.

Now I am designing fully differential amplifier but I am not sure how to simulate the Input common mode range of it,

I would appreciate your help
Thank you very much

how about sweeping Vin from 0 to Vdd and monitor the drain currents of the input transistors, M1 and M2? we should expect that at Vin,cm=Vgs1,2+Vdsat3, Id1,2=Id3/2 which marks the lower vin,cm limit.

assad.JPG

thank you rmandu

by this simulation you will know the lower limit of the ICMR, what about the upper limit ?

let us considering the fully differential amplifier based on folded cascode topology

assad.JPG

at node X, Vx= Vdd-vsd = vdd-vsg+|Vthp|
for M1/M2 to stay in saturation Vin,cm<Vx+Vthn or Vin,cm<Vdd-Vsg+|vthp|+Vthn.
upper limit of Vcommon mode input can actually reach Vdd.
The same is true for PMOS inputs where Vin,cm for PMOS inputs can reach ground.

edit
I think to verify this in simulations the transconductance of M1/M2 can be monitored, since at triode
region gm deteriorates.

Last edited:

Thank you very much rmanalo for your help, hope to see you in my other posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back