Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding X of L for an inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeatherNeck

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I’m very lost with this problem. I thought I knew this stuff. This is a exercise problem.
What is the value XL in the circuit. The absolute value of Es is 100V. It says, first find Z, noting E and I are given. Next Find X, then XL.
Where does X come in? I’m just drawing a blank on this one.View attachment CIE 5231-2.pdf

XL conventionally is inductive reactance.
Basic formula:

XL = 2 * Pi * f * L

This does not necessarily pass the same current as a pure ohmic resistance. To be accurate you need to make the adjustment by drawing the parallelogram angles, which has to do with phase.

Hi,

1) Z = E/I = (100<alpha)/(2<0) = 50<alpha
2) X = sqrt (Z^2 - R^2) --- complete this one yourself. I believe alpha is 90deg so take note.
3) X = XL-XC... XL = X+XC (complete this one too)

Yes, thank you but I knew that one. However they do not mention any frequency in this problem.
But I appreciate your response. I believe the next response from Akanimo is what I was missing. But really, thank you so much for replying.

Hi,

1) Z = E/I = (100<alpha)/(2<0) = 50<alpha
2) X = sqrt (Z^2 - R^2) --- complete this one yourself. I believe alpha is 90deg so take note.
3) X = XL-XC... XL = X+XC (complete this one too)

Not there yet. Still confused.

1st_Try.jpg

Not there yet. Still confused...

You are not alone.

Your calculation of ZL=20+j20 is correct.

The imaginary part is the XL; The inductor has a DC resistance component of 20ohm.

The question (or the problem) is badly set; the capacitor is ideal but the inductor is not.

Z = Zm<alpha = 50<alpha
Zm = sqrt(R^2 +X^2)
X^2 = sqrt(Zm^2 - R^2) = sqrt(2500-900) = 24.49 ohms

X=XL-XC ... but in this case, XC is already given as negative so we'll use:
X = XL+XC
Therefore, 24.4989 = XL-20
XL = 44.4989 ohm

There is a little mistake in the Akanimo answer: sqrt(2500-900)=40 ohm, then XL=60 ohm

Furthermore if you want to calculate alfa, we know that tg(alfa)=im(Z)/real(Z), that is tg(alfa)=X/R.
In our case alfa=atan(40/30)=53.1 deg.

Yes albbg, you are right. I made mistakes with the computation. There is even another one in line 3 of post #7. It should have been X = sqrt (2500-900)... but I wrote X^2 = sqrt (2500-900)... by mistake.

I'm sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.