Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] pickit-3 not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary36

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

This is a typical problem where I am unable to connect my custom board dspic33EV256GM106 to PIC -KIT3. I have searched all over the web and checked my schematics, continuity on board and everything is OK. MPLAB IPE returns the message "target device ID not match with the expected device ID"

I guess that PIC-KIT3 is not able to connect. Not able to understand what other factors can lead to such a problem.schematics are shown below

dspic.png

Hi,

Possible issues:
* no power supply capacitors
* no power supply circuit at all
* missing junction dot at xtal
* missing part values at xtal and capacitors
* missing PCB layout.

Klaus

Hi

Checked all the above factors and found compliance. Can it be defective dsPIC?

Hi,

Can it be defective dsPIC?
--> yes, no, maybe ... how can we know?

There are numerous possible issues we can´t check, as long as you don´t give the necessary informations.

* Power supply voltage directly at the chip(clean, correct level)
* proper soldering
* PCB layout
* defective cable
* defective programming tool

Klaus

That message implies that it CAN read the ID in the chip but that it does not match the device you have set in the PDE.
The typical response you get when the Pickit3 cannot communicate is "Target device ID of 000000 does not match..." (or words to that effect - the key is that it is reading an ID of all zeros).
By any chance, are you trying to power the device from the Pickit? It is generally better to be using an external power supply as the power capability of the Pickit 3 is quite limited (I suspect it was originally intended for much small er and less power-hungry MCUs).
Susan

Hi

Problem is resolved. Found a solder bridge between PGC and PGD.

Status
Not open for further replies.