Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current sink circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmykk

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I was looking into this circuit for constant current sink and was wondering about the working
and output voltage of this circuit.
tltl.PNG
I am trying to implement this circuit and in my case the input voltage will be bit higher(<10v).
How would this affect the circuit. Sink current(Io) should be connected to negative of battery?

Hi,

A couple of hours we had about the same discussion: https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?382814-Lm317-input-and-output-pin-voltage-specification

In short: The device regulates for a constant voltage across two of it's pins. If you now connect a resistor across these two pins: Then (according Ohm's law) you get a constant current.

output voltage of this circuit.
As this is a constant current circuit, it does not care about input voltage. It just regulates the current. (As long as it is able to)

Klaus

In short: The device regulates for a constant voltage across two of it's pins. If you now connect a resistor across these two pins: Then (according Ohm's law) you get a constant current.

You mean if i connect resistor between pin: Vi(batt) and Io as per circuit above?

Hi,

No,

See the circuit above:
* TL43xx is the voltage regulator. Please read it´s datasheet about it´s operation.
* Rs is the resistor that determines the constant current, because the TL43xx regulates a constant voltage across Rs. I = V / R

Klaus

I get that Rs determines the Io. But one thing that is unclear to me is the collector of that transistor.
Should it be connected to a load ....

Hi,

Should it be connected to a load ....
I wonder about this question. How should I understand it?
What else do you want to do with a constant current circuit?
And if it was not your inital plan to connect it to a load .. why did you choose this circuit?

It´s like buying a TV set and asking: What to do with it - should I watch TV?

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.