Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] AED 3 ZOLL: battery scheme, service manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

setipox

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I work in a company dealing in the regeneration of battery packs.
Recently, a customer asked me to regenerate the battery for the AED 3 defibrillator. Unfortunately, after replacing the cells with new ones, the device shows the battery level at 60%, although the batteries are completely new.
Could I ask for help in solving this problem. Thank you in advance for help.
Greeting
Slawek

Hi,

the device shows the battery level at 60%, although the batteries are completely new.
"New" does not mean that they are fully charged... depending on battery type.

Maybe they need to be charged.

Klaus

Yes, you are right, but in this package batteries are used (3v each, 12 pieces in total), not rechargeable batteries. I tried to use different brands of batteries, but during a battery self-test, the defibrillator always shows a level of 40% or 60% - never 100%.
The package in which I replaced the batteries also contains electronics. I suppose it's the answer to why this is happening.
I attach a picture.
Slawek
20190301_125845.jpg

shows a level of 40% or 60% - never 100%.

Look for contamination on battery holders which can lead to partial contact. Crusty deposits, leaked electrolyte, etc. (This does not apply if you solder or tack-weld battery packs.)

The question arises how does it measure battery 'health'? The manufacturer realizes people want to see a quick and easy reading immediately on the defibrillator. One way is to measure voltage. The more informative test is to apply a load simultaneously, but a fault in the load may draw too much power, or a faulty test circuit may attach the load for too long or attach it too many times. Then the reading drops.

Suppose you apply a higher voltage than a fresh battery pack? 40, 45, 50V? Then you might find out how high to go in order for the defibrillator to call it 100 percent. Nothing says it's the most accurate voltmeter even if it's emergency medical equipment.

Are you knowledgeable about electronics? Then you might test to see how much power is drained from the batteries when idle, or when reading getting a reading in the defibrillator. The unit may be faulty, draining battery power which ought to be reserved for an emergency.

The batteries are fixed in such a way that the plates are welded to the battery, and then these plates are soldered to the pcb board. So the connections are good. As for the way of measuring the battery, I sold a second set of batteries in parallel to increase the current efficiency. Unfortunately, it has not changed anything.

Thanks for the posts.
Problem solved. After replacing the cells (batteries), you need to intervene in the memory that is on the package board. After changing in its contents, the indication of the level of new batteries is correct.
I think about the subject as closed.

Congrats -- You achieved a positive outcome by applying some knowledge and effort.
At first it sounds like a lot of trouble having to reset the battery readout. However it can be a way to accommodate different types of batteries which read different volt levels when fresh. Or else if it's an Ampere-hour meter then it needs to be reset. An Amp-hr meter is more informative than a voltmeter if you want to know how much power was drained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back