Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power adaptor for battery charger compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

12strings

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there. I have a faulty power adaptor for a battery charger for a drill/driver, unfortunately the charger has been discontinued and I cant find that model for sale online. I have found a similar power adaptor online but I'm not sure if it will work and would appreciate your thoughts.

The faulty power adaptor is as follows...

Input: 100 - 240V AC 50-60Hz 13w
Output: 22V DC 400mA

The new adaptor is as follows

Input: 100 - 240V AC 50-60Hz 25w
Output: 24V DC 1250mA

The adaptor plugs into a charger that charges a battery as follows...
18V Lithium Ion 1500mAh

I'm hoping this new adaptor would do the job.
Cheers!

Hi,

I don't think you can get a reliable answer.
The reason is, that some "chargers" are true chargers, but others are power supplies.
This means that the one do have a charging characteristic like CC/ CV that fits your batteries.

If the charging does not fit your batteries they may explode and catch fire.

Thus all I can say: be careful.

Maybe you get better answer when you post the exact type and brand name of your drilling tool.

Klaus

Many thanks Klaus, that makes good sense and thanks for the warning, I didnt realise batteries could explode etc!

Thew drill driver is Ozito CDL-1810 18V Drill/Driver Li-ion - IDK - 2000

The adaptor plugs into a charger that charges a battery

Does this mean it's a separate charger designed for your battery pack?
Because your post talks as though you need an adapter, not a charger.

Your new choice has a voltage spec which is a couple volts higher than the old one. (Adapters are frequently off a couple volts from the labelled spec anyway.)
So it should be okay to supply power to the charger. The Ampere spec is higher but that is not a problem.

As post #2 states li-on are the type in news reports about causing fires and explosions. Your charger may have been affected as the old adapter went bad. Or it may be robust and in perfect condition. It's a good idea to use precautions with the drill even if your adapter works well with the charger.

Hi BradtheRad many thanks for your thoughts. I believe that it is the adaptor that has the problem, the charger and the batteries are fine. And good to know you think that adaptor might be fine. I'm busy scouring the internet for a replacement part and might be onto something - but if that doesnt work I may take my chances with the new adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back