Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for older LED's or Solid State Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightlightdude

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been scrounging together some older LED's recently and find their history pretty interesting. I'm searching for some from the very very early days (1967-71) of LED's or Solid State Lamps as they called them back then.
I'm hoping there's a few people out there who's held on to some of these early emitters because they thought they were pretty cool even though they are primitive by today's standards.
My plan is to eventually make a history of LED's website to share the stories and some quality photos of the devices.
Anyone have some metal-canned LED's? The early ones were often in modified transistor cans (TO-29) and often came in a fancy plastic case:
ssl.jpg
ssl1led.jpg
Monsanto's early LED's
monsantomv1.jpg

If you can help it'd be greatly appreciated!

Same here.
The only metal can LEDs I've seen are IR LEDs; and the reason was that these LEDs were actually high current (100 mA, if I recall properly) thus the metal can would assist in the heatsinking.

BTW: I hope you have success procuring these items, before they are lost in the dustbin of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.