Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dsPIC study/tutorial resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikash23

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to learn dsPIC and I have got an evaluation board DM330018.

I know this questions have already been asked but the links provided for the tutorial is expired and I see "link not found"

Can any one please guide me to an latest link that give me complete detail about learning dsPIC.

Thanks.

Are you asking about a link in a previous Edaboard thread or at the Microchip website?

Try a google search - I used "dspic33 tutorial" which led to a number of links (not that I tried them all!) and videos.
It also helps if you have a purpose in mind. The evaluation board has an MCU that is targeted to motor control. If you are just starting out with Microchip devices then some of the Gooligum tutorials will help. Also start at the 'flash a LED' level (and don't think they are trivial - the learning curve to get the first app written on PIC MCUs can be quite steep) and beyond.
If you are very familiar with PIC18 and PIC24 devices but just want to learn about the DSP capabilities then refining the search criteria I suggested at the start will help. Also read the Family Reference Manual (FRM) sections of the MCU and (of course) the data sheet. I think it is safe to say that the DSP aspects of all of the MCUs in the dsPIC33EV family are the same or similar enough so information using one MCU can be easily transferred to another.
Susan

Hi,

I assume the manufacturer and/or the distributors give additional assistance.
It may be the application notes, written tutorials or video tutorials, or even live online training courses.
Go to their website and do a search.

Klaus

Try a google search - I used "dspic33 tutorial" which led to a number of links (not that I tried them all!) and videos.
It also helps if you have a purpose in mind. The evaluation board has an MCU that is targeted to motor control. If you are just starting out with Microchip devices then some of the Gooligum tutorials will help. Also start at the 'flash a LED' level (and don't think they are trivial - the learning curve to get the first app written on PIC MCUs can be quite steep) and beyond.
If you are very familiar with PIC18 and PIC24 devices but just want to learn about the DSP capabilities then refining the search criteria I suggested at the start will help. Also read the Family Reference Manual (FRM) sections of the MCU and (of course) the data sheet. I think it is safe to say that the DSP aspects of all of the MCUs in the dsPIC33EV family are the same or similar enough so information using one MCU can be easily transferred to another.
Susan

The reason I selected that board because my application needs CAN bus, motor control, PWM and analog interface and needs a AEC qualified and must be low cost.

I haven't tried any videos but tried searching for "dspic33 tutorial"

I am looking for some kind of tutorial similar to Arduino.. Very easy to understand.

Even if you recommend any books that would be great.

Hi,

The reason I selected that board because my application needs CAN bus, motor control, PWM and analog interface and needs a AEC qualified and must be low cost.

I haven't tried any videos but tried searching for "dspic33 tutorial"

I am looking for some kind of tutorial similar to Arduino.. Very easy to understand.

Maybe you can do CAN communicaton with Arduino (Arduino is mainly an IDE for different hardware platforms)
Maybe you can do simple PWM for DC motor control with Arduino..

But I doubt you can do three phase SPWM motor control on Arduino. At least I have my doubts for reliable industrial equippment (but I never tired it).
But now you maybe want some additional control loop for the motor application, like PID..
..and the same time you want CAN communication without stopping PID and PWM...

Here I see the limitations of Arduino. Maybe osible, but then probably with the same effort than with any other languange and IDE.

Software becomes difficult, because you need at least do the PID and the PWM in real time ... and additionally the CAN in parallel to it... and most probably more other tasks

I don´t want to discourage you, but it will take some time...

Klaus

Hi,

Maybe you can do CAN communicaton with Arduino (Arduino is mainly an IDE for different hardware platforms)
Maybe you can do simple PWM for DC motor control with Arduino..

But I doubt you can do three phase SPWM motor control on Arduino. At least I have my doubts for reliable industrial equippment (but I never tired it).
But now you maybe want some additional control loop for the motor application, like PID..
..and the same time you want CAN communication without stopping PID and PWM...

Here I see the limitations of Arduino. Maybe osible, but then probably with the same effort than with any other languange and IDE.

Software becomes difficult, because you need at least do the PID and the PWM in real time ... and additionally the CAN in parallel to it... and most probably more other tasks

I don´t want to discourage you, but it will take some time...

Klaus

Hi,

I know arduino is easy to implement .

But like I mentioned I need to use a AEC qualified part capable of 150 dec C.

I have spent most of my time in finding the right microcontroller for my project.

I see it takes really a long time to learn on dspic but would like to learn as I see it's a right time and I got an opportunity and I wanted to try.

While there is a fairly steep learning curve to get used to the 'PIC way of doing things' (which includes reading and interpreting the data sheets and FRM) once you have programmed a 'flash a LED', you know that you have a structure that lets you program just about any other program.
After that, it is more about learning the peculiarities of the various peripherals.
Doing each of the tasks you are interested in is straight forward. However you need to think about how you will be doing all of these things together. There are a number of techniques but which to select comes down to how fast you need the app to react to external situations. For example the PWM hardware will look after itself once it is set up, but the question is how often will you need to recalculate the pulse width, the input information needed to perform the calculation, the precision of the calculations and the algorithm you are using etc..
Perhaps having the main loop simply rotate through a number of tasks (one for CAN, one for PWM etc.) is sufficient, or perhaps a totally interrupt driven approach, an RTOS or some combination. Each has its advantages and disadvantages and, if you've not used one before, learning curve.
All of these things are design considerations that you need to work through which is why Klaus rightly says that this will take some time.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back