Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Loud POP sound when swicthing audio filters i a vintage audio amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafrse

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to repair a nagra DSM audio amplifier, it pops when switching the audio filter selector switch S2. Checked for coupling caps on the filter board, no short circuit there. Any clue what the reason can be?
Uploaded the schemtics of the amplifier, filter board is on the upper right side. Not sure if the problem from this board or somewhare else.
Thanks

Attachments

• hfe_nagra_dsm_monitor_schematic_en.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Probably leak current of one of the electrolytic capacitors in filter board. You'll check the DC voltage at selector switch inputs, there should be zero difference.

Reactions: hafrse

hafrse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,
Thanks, I replaced all the electrolytic caps on the filter board: C3, C10 and C4. Now I only have a loud pop when switching between FLAT postion and Max. Loudness position, switching between Max. Loudness and Speech no or external speeker no pop sound. Checked for DC, there 0 voltage on all the 2 outputs of the filter board: #2 is for the Max. Loudness correction and #3 is for the FLAT correction.

- - - Updated - - -

If I leave the amplifier for 2 min, the POP sound goes away gradually until no pop is heared.

Checked for DC, there 0 voltage on all the 2 outputs of the filter board
According to schematic, -0.6V (equal to TP8) is expected.

Reactions: hafrse

hafrse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Correct, that is the input #4 to the filter board, checked, it is -0.6V , the outputs #2 and #3 is 0V after the coupling caps. But why this issue clears after about 2 min ? I

Problem solved: the new electrolytic cap to replace the C10 on the filter board was bad!replaced it with another one, all ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.