Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing cpu socket pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petswotan

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to attempt to repair bent/missing pins on my brand new motherboard cpu socket.

The small 25x & 200X hand held type portable microscope I have does a reasonable job viewing the pins but is not powerful enough to clearly see the complete outline of the pins to enable repair with tweezers.

I would appreciate a recommendation as to what microscope power I need (5/10 MP? or whatever) to see the pins clearly for repair.

Thanks

If your "brand new" motherboard has bent pins, get the manufacturer to replace it. If you start mucking around you risk breaking a pin and then you'll just have a brand new piece of useless junk.

I caused the bent pins so I am responsible for fixinh it. If it doesn't work nothing is lost.

bent/missing pins

You mean to say you damaged the socket where there are missing pins? You can't fix missing pins with a pair of tweezers. The only fix for missing pins is replacing the socket and that will require a reflow station and a new socket.

- - - Updated - - -

Update, given the price of a motherboard is far less than a CPU that goes on the motherboard, I'd be very wary of fixing bent/missing pins on the socket and putting said more expensive CPU on that motherboard. Too much potential for damaging the CPU too.

As you've already managed to damage your new motherboard do you have the relevant skills and knowledge to remove/install a CPU on a motherboard? Are you at least doing this with ESD protection (mat, wrist strap, etc)?

That reminds me of the time I went into a computer store to look for a custom built computer and the computer "build station" had a carpeted floor in front of a counter, with no ESD mat, no wrist strap, no grounding, lots of loose paper (not ESD paper), plastic wrap from boxes, etc...Kind of makes sense why I'd heard later that a lot of their systems had reliability problems (I didn't buy there after seeing their build area).

To ads-ee;

For the record I have 20 years experience with most aspects of computing, including hardware, so I'm hardly wet behind the ears.

I've built numerous computers in that time & never had the problem I've experienced on this occasion, which are a few bent pins. I never said anything about missing pins, did I! So, really all I need is a better usb microsope, not low end rubbish from ebay, & one that has a better depth of vision & contrast. So I was looking for a recommendation.
not a superior & negative attitude to not take any chances. How does any one make any progress in this world without trial & error, albeit with a measured & intelligent approach.

I suspect the bent pins were there when I bought it some months ago, but I would be very hard pressed to prove it. In any event I do not intend to go to the lengths of desoldering the socket with the all the extra equipment I know is involved.

If you have a recommendation with your vast experience please do let me know.

How many time do I have to post before I don't need approval to do so?

The number is about ten posts.

- - - Updated - - -

A member posted his homemade USB microscope project in the forum's DIY section. It uses the lens from a digital camera, and a USB webcam. Magnification and clarity allow reading numbers on IC's.

- - - Updated - - -

In this thread:

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?378473-Home-made-electronic-microscope

A forum search for 'microscope' will turn up more threads.

Brad the Rad;
Thanks for the info on the diy microscope. Unfortunately I don't have the inclination or the time to do a diy project, also given that the provided video has no bill of materials. It's bad enough that I have the inconvenience of trying to straighten out the pins, which already will take me away from more important issues.

I'm looking at the Andonstar ADSM302 usb digital microscope. That has good reviews but is expensive @ approx $280 (AU).

To ads-ee;

For the record I have 20 years experience with most aspects of computing, including hardware, so I'm hardly wet behind the ears.
Wasn't trying to be condescending, but I can see how you might have interpreted it that way. The majority of the people who ask questions here are not at all seasoned engineers or technicians, they are typically some kind of hobbiest or student, that has almost no experience. I normally assume anyone who asks a question has the least amount of experience possible.

I suspect the bent pins were there when I bought it some months ago, but I would be very hard pressed to prove it. In any event I do not intend to go to the lengths of desoldering the socket with the all the extra equipment I know is involved.
Unfortunate situation...this justifies why it is a good idea to always inspect incoming/newly purchased goods before putting them on a shelf.

Given the way those sockets are constructed, I really doubt you can fix the pins in any way that will give you reliable connections to the processor or avoid any possibility of creating a short or open. Replacement of the socket is probably the best option. You might be able to find someone that has a reflow rework station if you check around. Checking on Digikey an LGA socket looks to be around ~$25 US, so it looks like you might be able to purchase one.

Unless this is one of those high end motherboards that are in excess of $1000 then it might end up costing you more to swap out the socket, especially if a mistake is made that turns a fix into a CPU destroying device.

Regardless you'll want to find a trained reflow tech to remove/replace the socket. Someone like a previous co-worker who was a trained assembler and had a reflow station setup at home in a spare room and would do side work for small companies/individuals removing and replacing BGAs.

To ads-ee;

What you say all makes sense & pretty much reflects what I think, and thanks for your comments.
There seem to be a few sources in the US who do the replacement of sockets but the killer is the freight cost which makes it prohibitive. In Australia there seems to be no advertising at all of this type of tech service.

I'm long retired so I don't have any contacts in the workforce who might help & moreover I haven't ever worked in the electronics industry, so that's not an option, so I'm going to have to play it all by ear & make my own decision at the end of the day.

Thanks again all for your contributions.

I'm long retired so I don't have any contacts in the workforce who might help & moreover I haven't ever worked in the electronics industry, so that's not an option, so I'm going to have to play it all by ear & make my own decision at the end of the day.
I work exclusively in the electronics industry and know people who do rework and could rework such a board. Even so I would just end up buying a new motherboard rather than try and repair a damaged socket on a unused "new" motherboard. I've seen professionally done rework on easier to do SOIC type parts have issues after the rework and have seen even more BGA type reworks that had to be done more than once. I've also seen BGA reworks that ended up damaging the board (lifted pads) when slightly less than professional rework was done by less competent individuals.

I'd be wary of putting a >$1000 processor into a reworked socket, without having X-ray and such being done to the board in an attempt to detect shorts/opens. Hence my assessment that it will likely overall cost more to fix the board than to buy a new one (assuming this isn't a >$1000 motherboard).

But as you say it's your decision to determine what you want to do.

I bought a couple hobby-strength microscopes from amazon. I can see all the pins on my unpackaged 16nm die, no problem. for the packaged die I can even see the imperfections on the bumps/pins.

So I did - didn't mean to. Thanks.

The andonstars have good reviews. Especially the 1080p ones. Check them out.
Or you could go for some amscope clones on aliexpress. Those are stereo microscopes, much better imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.