Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Which discrete component modelling to use? (S-parameter or Spice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yjung

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello microwave experts!

I am trying to design an RF circuit using ADS on FR-4 substrate.
I will be using discrete components for matching and found out there are different modelling files to choose from.
Upon searching for vendors, I found that TDK provides the most detailed modelling files for their products (please suggest me other vendors if I am wrong).
As seen in the image, the vendor provides different types of modelling files.
Should I be using the S-parameter and insert it as 'data item' or should I be using the Spice file, or both?

I am trying to build a rectenna system operating at 2.45 GHz.

Thank you all!!

TDK.png

Discrete passive components for matching means L and C? They are linear, so using S-parameters is perfectly fine.

I like the Murata component models for ADS: Murata provide a complete library with electrical models & footprints for layout.

Reactions: ktr and yjung

yjung

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

ktr

Should I be using the S-parameter and insert it as 'data item' or should I be using the Spice file, or both?
If you do Transient Analysis or Nonlinear-Frequency-Domain Analysis, use RLC-Model(Spice Model).
If you do Linear Small Signal Analysis, use S-Parameter box.

Reactions: yjung

yjung

S-Parameters based simulation models may sometimes create trouble due to their natural discrete structures.If the analysis is linear(AC,S-Parameters) no problem but they may have issues with transient analysis even with HB analysis.Using equivalent circuit that consists of RLCk elements, may be better in some cases.

Reactions: yjung

yjung

Thank you all! I've ended up downloading Murata library, which solved things easily.
Anyways, I did play around with both S-parameter and the equiv circ.
They both give similar output, just slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back