Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Display suggestion for tractor cabin mounted device

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzard

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone suggest a display that can easily be mounted in a box and mounted in a tractor cabin? The display should be a minimum of 5" in size. Touchscreen and colour are desirable, but not mandatory.

Hi,

Did you do a search on ebay, or alibaba? I assume there are many that fits your few requirements.

Fir a display I expect specifications like:
* type (LED, LCD, alpanumeric, ...)
* resolution
* interface
* power supply
* periferals, (which type and interface)
* backlight..
* klimatic spec

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for the suggestion. The "mounted in a box and mounted in a tractor cabin" and "minimum of 5" in size" where the requirements. Someone suggested SmartiPi touch and back cover from Smarticase which can house a raspberry pi and the 7" raspberry pi display. The SmartiPi touch case has 75mm VESA mounting holes allowing the attachment of different mounting hardware to mount in the tractor cabin.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Since it's for a tractor cabin then presumably it's outdoors. In summer? Winter?
The climatic spec becomes important (as mentioned in post #2).

* Not all LCD displays can function if exposed to extreme cold or baking hot temperatures.

* It also applies to plastic enclosures sitting on an automobile dashboard in summer.

* Sunlight shining on an led display can make it impossible to read.

* A touch screen is hard to navigate if you have gloves on.

Etc.

Hi BradtheRad, thanks for the feedback. Fortunately my tractor cabin is enclosed and air conditioned/heated and gloves aren't worn. Sunlight shining on the display could definitely be a problem though. I might have to construct a cover to provide some shade.

LCD screens show up in good contrast in bright light. LED's (unless they're a super-bright kind) are easily outdone by glare on nearby reflective surfaces.

Thanks BradtheRad. I'm not what type the RPi display is. I've ordered one so I'll soon find out!

Hi,

I assume there is no dedicated "RPi display" ... you rather get a display that is cheap and available...in variable quality.

Klaus

Hi,

True.
Did you find any specifications besides "7inch" and "800×480"?

Klaus

10 finger touch support, but otherwise unfortunately no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back