Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it nesseary to replace old power converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueagent

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have an old power converter which is around 20 years old. it allows 110v electronics from japan to be used here with 220v voltage. it has no moving parts and is about the size of a fist, it was meant for use with my japanese playstation console.

since this one is so old, i'm wondering if its safe for use at home? i'm concerned that using high voltage vintage electronics will catch fire in my living room and burn my home down. so generally do people need to buy a new power converter if its over 20 years old?

thanks for letting me know!

It is probably just a 2:1 step down transformer. Not a problem, come back next century and ask again :-D

Brian.

that's good to hear, thank you so much for your help!

Is the power cord frayed, cracked or otherwise compromised?
If it is, replace the power cord.

Is the connection on the 110 V side intact?
If not, replace that.

Otherwise, I agree with Brian. Come back in 100 years.

I recommend a simple test.
Use it. Check the case temperature periodically by putting your hand near it.
Touch only if cool enough.

If you can touch it, and leave your hand on it, there should be no problem.

If its too hot to get your hand close, then put it on a piece of concrete board used
for waterproof walls etc in bathrooms. My brother the plumber uses it all the time.
Its concrete, heat is not an issue.

Don't put anything on top, and keep the sides clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back