Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PI Controler with Limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pancho_hideboo

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
See attached figure.
I think this is basically PI Controler with Limiter.

Here difference of input and ouput of Limiter is fed back to integral input.

What effect can I expect from this feedback ?

Attachments

• 190222-114906.png
    190222-114906.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 104

It's an anti-windup circuit that clamps the integrator output at the actual limits of the manipulated value.

I think, it's called anti-windup back calculation method.

This should have no impact on the bode plot but in some of these special cases should make the system come out of saturation more gracefully. I only see this coming into play in a couple instances.

First if the limit changes while the system is saturated it would correct the integrator accordingly.

Second if its a large system with a lag time between the PI controller and the system component that detects the limit. In this case the 'extra' windup can be backed out.

EDIT: Third if the system takes large steps and may jump well over a limit.

Any others?

I design systems with such a lag because I design generic controllers whose output needs to be scaled etc before going to a modulator block which understands and applies limits. There are a handful of clock delays in this path which allow the integrators to wind up a little extra. Though I haven't seen evidence it causes problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back