Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper Motor/DC Coil Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiwari.sachin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it a good option to use the following circuit for coil protection

STEPPER MOTOR COIL PROTECTION.png

I intend to use it on all the lines.

These are TVS with 25V Voperating, 27V-Vbreak, 40V Vclamp

I never had problem even without these but wish to add some protection (Considering ESD, Surge). Should I even use them as the motor is run by a motor driver whose datasheet suggests its 2KV ESD protected.

ESD.png

Hi,

Whether the circuit is good or not depends on
* the conection of the other motor pins
* the internal motor wiring (center taped)
* the driver connetion
* the driver type (IC, bjt, Mosfet...)
The shown circuit is useless, because incomplete.

ESD protection:
ESD means static charge / discharge. It has nothing to do with EMF of an inductor or motor.
The energy stored in an inductor may be much more than one may expect of an ES pulse.

Klaus

TVS diodes offer to switch clamp with attenuation of V=LdI/dt when there is deadtime OFF commutation of NFET,PFET

and ESD attenuation from 2kV 100pF for impedance ratio of diode to source Rs from ionizing surface ESD when conducting from finger model (HBM) human body model is actually finger model. 100pF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back