Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 nSec Pulse Amplification

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnan012

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

I want to amplify a short pulse of 2 nSec (Vp 200mV, Rise time 500pS). I have the following devices

BF998
BFR96
BF135
MSA-0886
PD85004
CGH40006P

Can i use any of the above device and which type of amplifier i used to amplify short pulses?

regards

Some can be probably used. The specification is however incomplete:

- DC capable amplifier yes/no
- gain respectively output level
- input/output impedance 50 ohms?

I would prefer some kind of MMIC amplifier module, e.g. form Mini-Circuits.

As a rule of thumb, BW = 0.35/Rt, where Rt is the rising time. So for your case, you need about 700MHz bandwidth to keep a good shape of the pulse.

As a rule of thumb, BW = 0.35/Rt, where Rt is the rising time. So for your case, you need about 700MHz bandwidth to keep a good shape of the pulse.
The estimation is valid for first order low-pass respectively system with dominant pole. To keep 500 ps rise time of a band limited input signal, the bandwidth must be higher than 700 MHz. Quadratic summation of risetimes can be a first estimation.

The estimation is valid for first order low-pass respectively system with dominant pole. To keep 500 ps rise time of a band limited input signal, the bandwidth must be higher than 700 MHz. Quadratic summation of risetimes can be a first estimation.

Yes, this estimation is only enough to keep more or less the same integrity for digital signals. Depending on the shape of rising/falling edge, more sidelobes should be included to get less distortion.

Thanks for reply

More spes are

DC capable amplifier ---------------------------no
gain respectively output level-------------------not required
input/output impedance 50 ohms -----------------yes

So any mmic with 4 or 6 GHz bandwidth will work well.

Thanks for reply.

I need 10-12 db gain.

The input power is about 0dBm, with 10-12dB gain, the output power will be 10-12dBm. So I fully agree with FvM, MMIC amplifiers from Mini-Circuits are good candidates. They are much easier to use.

You haven't said anything about the application because similar has been done before with Logic in many different ways. ECL,PECL, CML,SAS,SATA,LVDS etc .

Do you care about jitter, equalization for losses on FR4, EMI, differential 50 Ohms? Impedance tolerance? Prop Delay? Return Loss? 25mV De-noise hysteresis? DC bias, ESD protection? Make,? buy? 1 or many? With Connectors? Evaluation Board? For Radar? for GPR? for Laser? etc etc?

1.jpg LVDS Eval SN65CML100 can be configured to drive a dual 50-Ω load. In this configuration one 50-Ω resistor (tied to the termination voltage VTT) is placed near the output of the SN65CML100 and a second 50-Ω resistor (also tied toVTT) is placed near the end of the transmission line.
1.jpg 2 GBPS 1.4Vpp x2

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.

Its for GPR application.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back