Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Help to translate verilog code lines to vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesar0182

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tell you that I am new to this forum, I have limited knowledge of vhdl, but I am a novice in verilog. A couple of days ago I'm trying to translate a module from a verilog project to vhdl, but this makes use of other modules, I have managed to translate this, but I have problems translating the following lines of a module
Code:
`define WBUSRANGE 32*idx+31:32*idx  // Incrementing indexes within generate below
generate
   genvar   idx;
   for (idx=0; idx<=25; idx = idx+1)

assign o_wbus_count[10*idx+9:10*idx] = wbus_count[idx];

wire wen = i_wbus_enable[idx] & i_wbus_wen & upper_adrs_match &
             & (i_wbus_addr[20:16] == i_wbus_fws[5*idx+4:5*idx]);

wire almost_full_d = i_wbus_enable[idx] & ( ff_write_count > 
      Almost_Full_Depth );

dreg_clr #(1) dc_amf( .c( i_aur_clk ), .ar( i_rst ), .e( 1'b1 ), .d( 
      almost_full_d ), .q( almost_full[idx] ) );

assign o_wbus_waddr[`WBUSRANGE] = {13'h0, ff_dout[50:32]};
      assign o_wbus_wdata[`WBUSRANGE] = ff_dout[31:0];

end
endgenerate

Can someone please help me with this, thanks in advance.

I don't understand why you would have a problem with this code, it's very straight forward...

Use a VHDL generate and a for loop.
As you can see translating the code should be relatively easy...

Code Verilog - [expand]
assign o_wbus_count[10*idx+9:10*idx] = wbus_count[idx];

Code VHDL - [expand]
o_wbus_count(10*idx+9 downto 10*idx) <= wbus_count(idx);

Translating between the two usually requires knowing both languages. The bigger question is why would you bother translating a perfectly good piece of Verilog code into VHDL. Simulators and synthesis tools are almost all mixed mode simulators/synthesizers by default.

Thanks for responding ads-ee ... the reason is that I need to pass this project verilog to vhdl, I know which lines are relative easy to translate, but there is a special line that I can not find the way to obtain its equivalent in vhdl, since that is the definition of a range of bits, how can I define this variable range in vhdl.

`define WBUSRANGE 32*idx+31:32*idx // Incrementing indexes within generate below

Thanks to your help I have successfully translated my previous code.

Code:
genvar : for idx in 0 to 25 generate

o_wbus_count [10*idx+9 downto 10*idx] <= wbus_count(idx); 

wire wen 	<= i_wbus_enable(idx) and i_wbus_wen and upper_adrs_match and ( '1' when i_wbus_addr(20 downto 16) = i_wbus_fws(5*idx + 4 downto 5*idx) esle '0'); 

wire casi_full_d = i_wbus_enable(idx) & ('1' when ff_write_count> Almost_Full_Depth else '0');

dc_amf : dreg_clr generic map (1)  
      port map(
      	c 	=> i_aur_clk, 
      	ar  => i_rst,
      	e 	=> '1', 
      	d 	=> almost_full_d,
      	q 	=> almost_full(idx)
      );

o_wbus_waddr (32*idx+31 downto 32*idx)  <= "0000000000000" & ff_dout (50 downto 32);
      o_wbus_wdata (32*idx+31 downto 32*idx)  <= ff_dout (31 downto 0);
end generate genvar;

but I mention that in this project there are cases with the following format:

Code:
generate
   genvar   idx;
   for (idx=0; idx<=25; idx = idx+1)
     begin : sdma_engines
     //sequential statements
   end
endgenerate

I tried to keep it as it is in verilog, but it does not work ... what would be the equivalent in vhdl for
Code:
begin : sdma_engines ?

Last edited by a moderator:

a define is just like a C define the stuff aster the identifier WBUSRANGE is substituted wherever the define is used. So just copy paste 32*idx... wherever the define is used. You also have to substitute the : with downto in the VHDL, e.g. like I did in my previous post.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the code this could be done in VHDL with an array instead of all the bit-vector slicing. This Verilog code was probably written before (or by someone not familiar with) Systemverilog introduced the use of packed arrays.

- - - Updated - - -

begin : sdma_engines is a label, this ends up as the indexed portion of the hierarchical name in the netlist.

I don't recall the specific generate syntax of VHDL, but it's pretty easy to do a google search for it.

Error: Indexed name is not to std_ulogic_vector

Greetings ... I tell you that I am doing a project in Vivado 2017.3 and I am having the error shown in the attached image and I do not understand why.
std_ulogic_vector_error.PNG
Here I leave the lines of code that I am using.
Code:
entity g1_wbus_client_fifos is
           port(
                 o_wbus_count   : OUT std_logic_vector(259 DOWNTO 0);    
           );
end g1_wbus_client_fifos;

architecture Behavioral of g1_wbus_client_fifos is

SIGNAL wbus_count       : std_logic_vector(9 DOWNTO 0);

begin

genvar : for idx in 0 to 25 generate

begin       

o_wbus_count(10*idx+9 downto 10*idx)    <= wbus_count(idx);
          end generate genvar;
end Behavioral;

Someone who can help me with this error please.

Last edited by a moderator:

The definition of wbus_count doesn't make sense, it must be two-dimensional to make the assignment work.

Presently RHS is std_logic and LHS 10 bit std_logic_vector, thus the error message.

I wonder how wbus_count is defined in the related Verilog code, expect an array of vector.

I apologize for this last post, I thought I had created a new topic ... as I had previously commented I am translating a project from verilog to vhdl, and as you indicate the problem is in the wbus_count statement. The original verilog statement for wbus_count is as follows.

wire [9:0] wbus_count [0:25];

How do I declare this expression in VHDL?

Yes you created a new topic, but according forum rules it's not appropriate, they say
avoid creating multiple threads with similar questions, ask all related questions in one thread.

That's clearly a related question, without the original Verilog code, nobody can understand what you are trying to achieve.

You'll write something like

Code VHDL - [expand]
type  wbus_count_type is array(0 to 25) of std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);
signal wbus_count : wbus_count_type;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back