Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is Raspberry Pi is better than Arduino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectorautomationsystems

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is Raspberry Pi is better than Arduino uno? What are the main differences between them. can some one please explain in layman terms.

Thanks,
moderator action: removed link to advertisement

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Raspberry Pi is a computer. There are different types. If you want to compare it, then you should give the exact type.

Arduino is an IDE. It is no computer, thus it can't be compared with a computer.

Klaus

Better or not is to be decided on end use.
Raspberry Pi is good for Linux like embedded systems .
Arduino Uno is like a basic embedded system with its own features.

RaspPI does not provide many Hw expansion interfaces like Arduino.

Both are Good in their own domain.

arduino boards are 10 times less expensive than raspberry. you cannot compare them. they are completely different.

Which is better: a dog or a spade?
Both will dig up my garden but I have the use the spade myself; the dog is autonomous.
A dog will be your friend but the spade does not need to be fed (or cleaned up after!)
As mentioned above, it all depends on what you want to do - they serve different purposes.
Susan

A raspberry pi is a full blown linux pc. Yes you have many advantages over ardiuno
1. Huge data storage available in pi.
2. Onboard USB, Ethernet, Wifi and bluetooth,
3. Support for many programming languages.
4. Can connect hdmi or touch displays easily.
5. Remote monitoring with minimum circuitry. And list goes on.

Raspberry Pi have many advantages over Arduino in IoT

1. It is a general-purpose computer which runs on a Linux operating system.
2. It has the ability to run multiple programs.
3. It can be easily connected to the internet with the help of Ethernet port and USB Wi-Fi dongles etc.

This were some of the benefits of using Raspberry Pi but both have various specifications in their individual domain.

Both devices designed to be teaching tools and very easy to learn to use. The Raspberry Pi 3 is a series of single-board computer and Arduino is a Microcontroller board. The Raspberry Pi 3 is so faster than the Arduino. From the above discussion, we can understand that Arduino is good for repetitive tasks such as opening the door, switching the lights on and off.

I feel that arduino is for electronic enthusiasts who have spare money. If you are professional, it is difficult to learn the real skills with these electronic building blocks (circuit design, pcb layout, wiring, etc. are very important).
The other is that the cost is too high. The Raspberry Pi is biased towards embedded systems and is said to work well. I have to say it mainly depends on your interest. If you want to design embedded software, the Raspberry Pi is better (seems cheaper than mainstream embedded development boards, please verify ~). For embedded development, you need a team, and the underlying development is basically to modify other people's programs (off-the-shelf drivers such as LINUX, ANDROID are readily available, but I / O, ...:-|emmm.

@RachelAnne289 - I have a different opinion about what is suitable for embedded systems.
To me, an embedded system needs to perform its task (singular) reliably and continuously for long periods of time (years). Therefore it should be as simple as possible, not needing software updates etc.. Therefore an Arduino is better suited for this purpose - you program it once (after the development work of course) and it just keeps on going after that. As the program never finishes, you don't need a 'shell' to run it, it probably doesn't need standard input and outputs (maybe an LCD and a few buttons/switches), file systems, storage media and all of the other things that are normally provided by an OS.
The Raspberry Pi typically has way more processing power than is needed for embedded systems (possible exception being the RPi Zero), needs frequent updates (especially if you have it connected to the Internet for security patches). It is great that it can perform multiple tasks but that is not a requirement for an embedded system.
Can you imagine a RPi running the thermostat in your room? Perhaps if you wanted to have voice-activation to unlock it or via facial recognition but that is getting way beyond typically tasks for embedded systems.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.