Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does complex conjugate poles lead to gain peaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmaye

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
I heard in a lecture that complex conjugate poles lead to peaking. Could someone please explain this to me?

It is a simple math. Take any 2nd order polynomial with negative discriminant, i.e. s^2+s+1, replace s with iw and calculate the modulus. Then you will clearly seen nonmonotonicity of function.

Peaking is caused due to lesser phase margin or higher Q right? It is a sign of unstability. I didnt understand what does it have to do with complex conjugate poles.

Phase margin is a parameter of the open loop characteristic of a feedback system. After you close the loop the sytem will form another transfer characteristic, the closed loop transfer function, which can has complex conjugate poles. See phase margin as a relation between the closed loop transfer function's complex conjugate poles and the open loop characteristic.
Another important thing if the pahse margin is lower than 0° (of the open loop charateristic) the closed loop's complex conjugate poles will appear on the right half plane with positive sign. This is also equivalent with oscillation or unstability.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.