Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to boost 10.5KHz RF transmission distance from 4" to ~25+'

Status
Not open for further replies.

oriddlero

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I built a remote transmitter for my cat's shock collar using an Arduino. It is based on this circuit and code: https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-PetSafe-Cat-Barrier/#CPW6UOMJI0JKWIT

It works, but only if the collar (receiver) get within 4" of the loop wire on the transmitter circuit.

How can I get this transmitter to output the 10.5KHz considerably further, while keeping the form factor as small as possible as I am looking to us the transmitter like a remote.

Thanks for any help!

The instructables design will never work efficiently because the current in the loop will be very small. Using whatever method you want to generate the signal, use a two transistor driver stage, first being a small signal transistor and the second a small MOSFET. Doing that will increase the loop current maybe 10 up to as much as 100 times.

The reason the original design will not work well is the TIP29 can never be brought into full conduction with a 1K resistor in its base and the potentiometer is ineffective (and could possibly burn out) as a current limiter. Dropping the 1K would help a little but then risk damaging the Arduino. I'm afraid like many 'instructables' they are designs that someone tried and found to work but are not necessarily well thought out or optimized, some are downright dangerous!

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back