Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for BJT that has very low collector leakage current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan8947

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for small signal BJT that has very low leakage current when the base is biased at about 0.2V. I have issue of transistors drawing collector current when the base is at about 0.25V that is way less than the normal turn on of 0.6V to 0.7V. I am currently using BC546 or 556, and KSA992 or KSC1831 transistors, they leak too much. I need transistor with as low collect capacitance as possible ( low Ccb and Cce).

BTW, how do I look for this on the data sheet? Looking at leakage at Vceo?

Thanks

Would you mind to tell target leakage, capacitance and voltage numbers?

Would you mind to tell target leakage, capacitance and voltage numbers?

Thanks for the reply, capacitance of 8pF or less, only about 5V. I really cannot say about the leakage. I am more interested in knowing how to read from the datasheet. Do I read the leakage at Vceo and Vcbo spec?

Hi,

Some things come into my mind:
You have to understand the "turn_off_voltage" of a bjt. It specifies the voltage at a dedicated collector current. It does not say, that at lower V_BE the collector current is zero.

And you have to understand the "leakage_current" of a bjt. It usually is specified at V_BE is zero.

And you have to understand that your requirement uses a V_BE somewhere inbetween those two specified transistor states, thus you can expect a collector current inbetween the two specified values.
This is a very unusual requirement, thus you rarely will find information about it in the datasheets.

This leads to my question:
Why do you want to use the bjt especially in this situation?
* Why don't you drive V_BE close to zero ... to avoid increased collector current?
* Or if impossible, why don't you use a collector connected circuit that is less sensible for the increased collector current?

If you post your circuit you could get more helpful answers.

Klaus

Added:
I really cannot say about the leakage.
This makes no sense for me: Complaining about "too high current" but not having a clue what "too high" means.
In my eyes: A proper design starts with deciding the requirements. After that you start to design the schematic ... not the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.