Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fast rise time pulse filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnan012

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

A pulse of 5nS width, with rise time of 0.5nSec is applied to a narrow band pass filter. what can i expect at the output node of the filter?

Regards

Hi,

impossible to say.

It depends on filter frequencies, filter order, filter type (Q), ....

It´s likely that you see some signal with the bandpass frequency.

Klaus

Thanks for reply.

Can i say that the pulse have all frequencies for 0hz to 0.35/0.5nSec = 700 Mhz.

Hi,

just use an FFT on your desired signal to see the frequency spectrum.

Klaus

Can i say that the pulse have all frequencies for 0hz to 0.35/0.5nSec = 700 Mhz.

An upward or downward transition serves as a 'kick' to the filter, which might result in some kind of output. Example, an LC filter might tend to ring at the resonant frequency.

Then to perpetuate the ringing, the transitions can be input at proper times although it does not have to be only at the resonant frequency (f). Possibilities are f/2, f/3, f/4, etc. One cycle of each or more than one cycle.
Or f*3 or f*5.

Notice that it won't work to apply f*2 or f*4 because they transition in a direction that opposes the ringing waveform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back